What Garment to Use Post BBL? Worried Mine Is Too Tight. (photo)

Im 16 days post-op. Wore garment for 5 days post-of & it came off on day 6 due to circulation problems in stomach. On day 14 it was back on but i feel it's too tight around my butt & Im afraid it may negatively affect final results. I'd like 2 hear the opinion of other surgeons. Should I keep same garment? Change to another one that puts less pressure on buttock area? What is the "stage 1 and stayed 2"? My doc has not mentioned such thing.Please read caption of photos for addtnl info (didnt fit)

Brazilian butt lift and postop garments

In my patients I use a smooth soft garment with no zipper or clips. I don't like a tight garment but I like  the smooth garment. I think the garment does not have to be extremely tight to get a good result. And I think a garment may cause indentations in the skin and problems with the final result.

I think massage may even be more important than the garment. And my patience to do early massages have less pain and better results with more skin contraction. If your garment is making indentations in the skin and may be too tight and you may want talk to Dr. about this.

Tight garments

In general, garments should be snug after liposuction but not after fat grafting.  For this operation, since you've had both then a good combination is important.  The garment you have looks great but sometimes I'll cut a hole out of the bottom from each side.  It relieves the pressure in the area and allows more perfussion to your newly grafted areas.  Hope this helps.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Ask your surgeon, they can make a recommendation for a better fit if needed.

Post-operative garments for compression are frequently utilized following cosmetic surgery.These devices minimize swelling, decrease pain, decrease discomfort and help remodel tissue.
In Brazilian butt lift patients extreme pressure can result in fat cell death.For this reason it’s important that these devices fit snugly, but not too tightly following the Brazilian butt lift procedure.In this situation the goal is to remodel the tissue, not compress and remove swelling.
A large number of devices can accomplish these goals.The device is actually less important than the fit of the device.If you have questions regarding this issue, it’s important to have a discussion with your surgeon.Your surgeon should be able to direct you to the appropriate device.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

What Garment to Use Post BBL? Worried Mine Is Too Tight.

Thank you for the question. In my office patients wear a surgical garment for the first 1-2 days. This garment is relatively tight. After the first 1-2 days, patients wear Spanx (or similar) for an additional 3-6 weeks. Target sells garments that are similar to Spanx, and are cheaper. This style of garment is more comfortable and less compressive.

Austin Hayes, MD

Compressive Garments & BBL

Hello and Great Question.  I appreciate the time you are spending researching this procedure.  My name is Dr. Matthew J. Nykiel.  I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, a Fellowship Trained Cosmetic Surgeon, and a Butt Augmentation Specialist.

Each Surgeon has a slightly different protocol; and therefore, the most important thing is to check with your surgeon.  

STAGE 1 vs 2 GARMENTS:  

A stage 1 garment is for the early post op period.  These garments are made with extra access points to allow you to easily go to the bathroom and/or take the garment on/off.  A stage 2 garment is for the later post op period and looks very similar to a compressive garment you can buy at a department store (i.e. Spanx).   

HOW TIGHT SHOULD THE GARMENT BE?

I like compressive garments that go from the chest to the knees and have mesh at the butt or have been designed to have "less" pressure on the buttocks.  I have not (yet) found one brand that is superior to another.  At our office, I utilize a specialized garment company. Personally, I think compressive garments are necessary because the garments help to decrease the swelling, bruising, and firmness.  

The garment should feel tight, similar to how Spanx feel, the point of the garment is to squeeze out the swelling/firmness.  The tightness should be similar to when you wrap an ankle or knee.  The garment should NOT be causing indentions and/or divots where the liposuction or fat grafting is performed.  It is normal for the garment to cause indentations at the very edges of the garment, but not within the areas of the liposuction and fat transfer.  If you are experiencing indentations from the garment, you can place lipo-foam (essentially thin styrofoam) to help prevent it.  Alternatively, you can try a different brand; however, in my experience I have found the lipo-foam is a quicker and better option.  

HOW TO MEASURE A GARMENT:

If you choose to try a different brand, the hip measurement is the most important, followed by the waist width, and then the chest width.  I would take your measurement and then compare your measurement to the different brands.  Simply search compressive medical garments.  

At our office, we have specialized trained staff to go over this information with from your initial consultation, to pre-operative appointment, and post-operative follow-up.

Best of Luck!  Please reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Matthew J. Nykiel, MD
#TopREALSELFDoctor
#CoreREALSELFDoctor
Butt Augmentation Specialist
Liposuction Specialist

Matthew J. Nykiel, MD
Ontario Plastic Surgeon

What Garment to Use Post BBL? Worried Mine Is Too Tight

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on having BBL surgery. I advise my patients to use a compression garment 23 hrs a day for two weeks then switch to a contour garment. The fat grafted area should not be tight.  Make sure you follow your surgeons recommendations. Best Wishes

Jeff Angobaldo, MD

Thank you for your question, After a liposuction and fat transfer you are require to wear a garment to help your shape and to reduce the swelling process. The garment i use for my patients are tight but soft on liposuction areas and a soft material on Buttocks area. Best luck.

Orlando Llorente, MD

Your garment should not apply significant pressure on the areas to which the fat was transferred to.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Garments and Brazilian Butt Lifts

Garments are necessary for body contouring.  It helps redrape the skin over your core.  No garment should be excessively tight.  It should support and not strangulate.  Stage I and II garments are use to give different amounts of compression.  Stage one giving more compression than Stage II.  Your PS should be monitoring your response to your garments at your follow up appointments.  

Dr. ES

Garments after BBL

There is so much variability to what you will read and hear about garments, it is very easy to get confused.  The purpose of the garment following liposuction is to contour the area and to minimize bruising and swelling.  This is a little bit opposite to what you want in the fat grafted area (in this case your buttocks) where we want to avoid pressure on the newly transferred fat.  Personally I prefer a garment that has cut outs for the buttocks when I do a BBL but is snug and well-fitted from all of the donor sites.  I tell my patients if it feels to tight, or if it is cutting in to them, that we will increase the garment size.  The best thing to do is to consult with your original surgeon and mention your concerns.  That will help maximise your result.  Good luck!

Kirsty Boyd, MD, FRCSC
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon