Oily Scalp After HT? (photo)

My frontal to middle transplanted scalp is getting very oily after day 8 FUE with 3000+ grafts. I could see tens or more very small drops of oil on my newly transplanted area. I am washing once daily as suggested by my doc. Is this bad, ok or great? Should I wash more frequently to remove the excessive oil?. I am not going out and having 2 weeks off resting home so this is not sweat.

Oil in the scalp after a hair transplant

This is not always a bad thing.  Sometimes the oil is part of the healing process.  It is a good idea to follow what your physician recommended.

Houston Dermatologist

Oily scalp after transplant

Your scalp should return to its preoperative condition in a few weeks in regards to oiliness. Daily shampooing at this stage seems to be a reasonable thing to do. It should not harm the grafts. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recheck

If you had oily scalp or oily hair before the surgery, maybe this is normal.  Transplanted hairs come with their glands that produce oil so it also can be normal.  It is aways a good idea to follow up with your doctor for a recheck.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Oily hair after a hair transplant

I would wash twice a day if the oily hair is uncomfortable. Twice a day washing should not be a problem.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant - oily scalp

Hi I would follow your doctor's protocol for washing.  Ours is very specific however by day 8 wash under gentle stream of water with delicate shampoo is usually ok once a day.  Do not scrub.  Best Wishes!