One side of my lip has swelled up larger than the other after juvederm should I be worried? (photo)

After getting 1 syringe of juvederm injected in my lips the day before yesterday, I have experienced some bruising and swelling, which I expected. My lips were slightly swollen the day of the procedure and got worse the next day. By the end of the day the swelling had subsided everywhere except the left side of my bottom lip. It was slightly swollen at first then gradually got more puffy. I have been icing it, but it doesn't seem to help. Does this look normal? Or should I be concerned?

Juvederm and the Lips

Thank you for your RealSelf question and for sharing your photos. The lips are
extremely prone to both bruising and swelling so irregularity early on is
pretty normal.  As a doctor I pay careful attention to the amount that is
injected on each side so that the lips are even. I tell my patients to expected
both bruising and swelling to last a week. Sometimes an uneven look is because
of a bruise on one side, and if it's deep, it might not be obvious that it is a
bruise.  The lips are also an area where we can see some problems, however, so report any
unusual pain or bruising, especially when they occur together, to your doctor.
Bruising in a net like pattern should be immediately reported. Good luck!  Dr. Holy

Lip swelling

Yes - this is lip swelling - keep icing for 48 hours after the injection.  Also take arnica Montana 30 x five pellets 3x per day for 5 days - see your doctor in 2 weeks - or sooner if you have persistent swelling and/or pain. 

T.G. Khan, DO, FACS
Fort Lee Oculoplastic Surgeon

Uneven swelling after lip augmentation injection

Uneven swelling is common after lip injection. Mostly everyone has some uneven features to their lips. The doctor injecting your lips may try to correct for that difference.

With more needle pokes, more filler volume, and more passes with a cannula, the lips has potential to swell more on that side. 

Please be patient and wait the whole 2 weeks for swelling to settle down. Your doctor can evaluate your lips at that point. I always like to start conservatively. It's much easier to add more than to remove excess filler. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

Wait 2 weeks if it is still swollen consider reversal or more filler to give the appropriate contour.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Asymmetric Lip Swelling After Juvederm

It's normal to be worried because your seeing that you're not symmetric. But that swelling will improve with time. Give it about 2 weeks. The swelling should come down slowly. In the meanwhile, you may want to take arnica and bromelain supplements to help with swelling. Cool compresses may help. Let your injecting doctor know what has occurred. Best of luck. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Uneven lips within days following Juvederm injections into the lips

Thank you for sharing your concerns and posting your photo. Swelling may occur significantly for a few days after lip enhancement with dermal fillers. The more product injected, the greater amount of potential swelling. Continue using cold compresses for a couple of days. Some doctors and patients believe Arnica is beneficial for bruising and swelling. You will likely appear more symmetrical within a week.'
Good luck,

Swelling After Lip Augmentation With Juvederm

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to see your final result after lip augmentation with Juvederm.  Swelling and bruising after filler injection is normal, especially in the lips.  Icing can help for up to 48 hours postprocedure.  Arnica can also help to minimize postprocedure swelling and bruising.  Gentle massage may be beneficial.  In general, after lip augmentation with fillers, it will take 2 weeks to allow for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  Hope this helps and if you continue to have any concerns, please be sure to see your injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Best wishes!