Will acne affect FTM top surgery?

I am ftm and on the waiting list for a double mastectomy. I have a lot of acne on my chest will this affect my ability to get the surgery?

Acne and surgery

Antibiotics are used around the time of surgery which will clear you acne most likely.  Acne by itself will not contraindicate your surgery.

Will acne affect FTM top surgery?

It would depend on the severity of the acne, as well as the location of the acne on the chest wall.  Best wishes.

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS

Chest acne and TOP surgery.

Testosterone therapy can cause acne breakouts on the face, back and/or chest. This occurs because of the thickening of the sebum in the oil glands and the bacteria that love to live in that sebum. In my opinion, that can not be good for wound healing and may increase the infection rate after surgery. To avoid this problem, my patients with acne receive skin and oral anti-acne medications before surgery. Ask your surgeon about clearing your acne before surgery.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD