2 weeks post FUE. I rubbed my dry hair to remove the scabs that fell with the hair. Have I damaged my follicles?

Dear all, It has been 14 days I was grafted by FUE. Part of scabs fell by the use of oils that morning in a circular motion by my finger but In the afternoon I rubbed dry my hair to remove the scabs that fell with the hair. My question was if I damaged my grafts or follicles?? Thank you in advance

If you followed your post operative instructions on how to wash your hair it should be fine.

If you followed your post operative instructions on how to wash your hair it should be fine. There is no way to assess if you damaged your grafts on the Internet.  Most likely it should be fine, but there is no way to tell.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

14 days post op

at this point in time your grafts are secure. the scabs and the hair shafts should be falling out at this point in time, which is normal. 

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

NeoGraft

Thank you for your question. It is important that you are gentle in the touching and cleaning of your scalp within the first two weeks after the procedure. You should also be aware of sun and wind exposure as well as too harshly taking on and off clothes around your scalp. Please review recovery instructions with your board certified facial plastic surgeon. We recommend our patients use baby shampoo and massage their head gently in the shower. 

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks post-op

By 2 weeks post op I wouldn't say that you did any damage by rubbing the scabs. Everything is pretty settled by day 10. But if you do suspect any damage may have been done be sure to mention it at your next follow up with your doctor. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crust falling off at 14 days.

I recommend soaking your scalp by laying in a tub if you have crusts at 14 days post op your FUE.  I don't think you damaged the scalp by rubbing it at this point, specifically if there wasn't any blood or oozing.  Check with your doctor but I typically have my patients resume normal hair washings at this point.

Justin Misko, MD
Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon

Remove the scabs

No , you don't damaged them ...Transplanted graft’s hair starts to shedding in the first week of surgery and may go on untill 4-6 th weeks after surgery. İt is not surprising to lost approx.  %70-80 of all transplanted hair shafts in first month when you are washing, gently rubbing  or touching the head.

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Rubbing crusts off

There is always a risk of pulling out grafts when you rub the crusts off. I wrote an article on this. This is what I tell my patients:  Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon