Am I safe to proceed with breast lift with implants after smoking relapse 10 days prior to surgery?

After being smoke free for 7 weeks, I relapsed 1 day last weekand had 3 cigarettes. My relapse happened 8 days ago and I have 2 days remaining until my operation day. Would you recommend to your patients to reschedule? Am I pretty ok to proceed?

Smoking and BA

Most experts unanimously agree that smoking increases the rate of breast augmentation surgical complications significantly. Just about all plastic surgeons strongly recommend women to stop smoking and all nicotine products well in advance of breast augmentation with breast implants. Many plastic surgeons recommend stopping all tobacco products several months prior to surgery.
Here is the reason why: the nicotine in cigarettes and other tobacco products (including Nicorette gum, patches, etc) is a vasoconstrictor, meaning it makes the Smoking is a significant multiplier of many potential complications following surgery and breast augmentation with implants are no exception. Nicotine from smoking causes blood vessels to vasoconstrict ( tighten up). Over time, these constricted arteries and capillaries deliver less blood to the breast tissue which is needed for normal healing. Smokers therefore have an increased incidence of higher likelihood of complications such as infection, and in particular capsular contracture (hardening and distortion of the implants). General complications of surgery such as blood clots, anesthetic problems such as pneumonia are also increased.
A scientific article in the Archives of Internal Medicine indicated that, among all forms of surgery, quitting smoking eight weeks prior was never associated with an increased risk of complications.
In young patients you will probably statistically avoid these complications, why tempt fate by increasing your odds that something bad will happen.On a long term basis, smoking also causes accelerated aging of the skin and loss of elasticity. Hopefully these reasons will help give you the will power and courage to stop smoking.

Smoking before surgery?

Thank you for your question. I Advice patients to stop smoking for at least a month before and after surgery to minimize complications and help with healing and scarring. You should ask your chosen surgeon for his advice. You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. Best is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure. Good luck! 

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided infromation as well. It is not safe because of many risks of skin necrosis after your surgery because your prior smoking itinerary.. Wait at least 4 to 6 weeks to do it.!!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Smoking Relapse and Breast Lift

This is completely up to your Plastic Surgeon, but it is very important that you discuss your relapse with him or her.  Each of us has our own way of handling smoking in the time period immediately before and after surgery.  Unfortunately, the risks of wound healing problems and skin loss is very real in someone who has been smoking and is having certain procedures including breast lift. It is in your best interest to be upfront about this with your surgeon. 

Laurence Weider, MD

What any of us would or would not do in this situation is entirely irrelevant. The surgeon doing your procedure is the one responsible for your safety and this question can only be answered by that doctor. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD