Can I use hair removal cream before Brazilian LHR?

Is using a hair removal cream (e.g. Nair, Neet, etc.) as effective or even recommended in comparison to shaving prior to Brazilian LHR treatment? How far in advance should I do it? I'm of mocha complexion with dark brown curly hair. I use electric clippers to shave my hair close to the skin but not all the way to the surface. Thank you in advance for your suggestions/directions/expertise.

Laser Hair Removal and Hair Removal Cream....?

Definitely no Nair or Neet or any Hair Removal Cream before Laser Hair Removal!  Laser light is actually absorbed bu the remaining hair stubble under your skin.   If you use a hair removal cream or wax or pluck, this will remove this hair stubble and the laser will not work!   

Hair Removal Creams Prior to Treatment

No hair removal creams, waxing or plucking should be done at least 6 weeks prior to treatment, as the hair must be present in the follicle in order for the laser to be effective. Shaving is fine and I would advise shaving 24 hours prior to your appointment. In our office, we shave patients prior to treatment so that we can provide the most effective treatment possible. 

Dennis Gross, MD

LHR removal - don't use hair removal creams

In order for the laser to work, it requires a hair to be present in the shaft. If it is gone, the laser has no target and won't work. Only shaving is recommended and this should be done on the day of treatment. Excessive hair will adversely affect results too because the laser will only burn the hair  and not go down the hair shaft. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Laser hair removal cream

Yes, You can use laser hair removal cream as it removes only the surface hairs. You can also shave or bleach the area, none of which affects the hair within the follicle, under the skin.  Shaving may be the preferred route however sometimes women are concerned this may actually make the hair thicker.  This is a fallacy and shaving does not lead to increased hair growth or density.  
Best of luck

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

​Laser Hair Removal & Shaving

Thank you for your question.  Your LHR provider should have answered this question before and after your treatment.  If you have bothersome hair between laser hair removal treatments, you MUST shave between treatments.  LHR only works if there is a hair shaft in the follicle.  The laser energy follows the hair down the shaft to destroy the follicle.  If the hair has been removed by waxing, plucking or depilatory agents (hair removal creams), the laser will pass over the follicle leaving it intact to produce another hair.  We ask our patients to shave between laser treatments and abstain from these other methods.

We would recommend contacting your provider for further guidance.  If they are unable to answer your questions, you should probably find a more experienced provider.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician

Before LHR

The best thing to do before a LHR treatment is to shave as close as you can. Avoid any chemical creams, epilators, plucking, or waxing.

Robert G. Aycock, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon