Do you need to be anesthetized during CO2 laser treatment or is a topical only used?

CO2 and topical numbing creams

The answer is it depends. If low density Co2 were to be used, then sure, numbing cream is all that is needed. If higher density Co2 were to be performed, then I usually do regional blocks with or without light sedation and numbing creams. Your Specialist will guide you according to the treatment level itself. All the best, Dr Davin S. Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Thanks for your query. It is only topical anesthesia which is used for Co2 laser. It numbs your skin and thereby makes the procedure very comfortable. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Sedation for Facial Aging and Lasers -- Co2/Erbium Resurfacing Fraxel/Clear + Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care

No you do not need to go to sleep for agressive laser resurfacing (co2/erbium) or even fraxel. we use oral medications, nerve blocks, and numbing cream to make it very comfortable.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Hyperpigmentation is a risk with co2 laser

Topical anesthesia is appropriate for co2 laser. I would suggest pre and post treatment with Melarase creams to prevent hyperpigmentation. Best, Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Do you need general anesthesia during CO2 laser resurfacing

Thank you for your question. Laser resurfacing of the face with an ablative CO2 laser can be performed under local anesthesia with sedation. Your surgeon can perform regional blocks and this combined with the sedation can allow the procedure to be performed safely and comfortably.

Do you need to be anesthetized during CO2 laser treatment or is a topical only used

It really all depends on the surgeon and what level of CO2 they are planning on using. I typically use IV sedation as well as tumescent for CO2's. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Laser Comfort

Good day. Your question is a good one. A good facial block with local anesthesia and some sedation  (either oral or IV) is what I typically will use. It all depends on your surgeon and what they feel would be best for you. Certainly a general anesthetic can be used especially when combined with other procedures.Best wishes!