Can coolsculpting be done on my upper back?

In the before and after pictures for this procedure I see only people are targeting lower back, stomach, and or arms. Can this procedure be done for upper back area? My back is huge and the rest of my body is slim which makes me look funny.

Upper Back

The short answer to your question is yes. but a physical exam is needed to make any formal recommendations.   Coolsculpting is quite effective particularly in fit patients with focal trouble spots. You will first begin to see results as early as 3-4 weeks and then continually out 3-4 months after treatment. The process takes time due to the nature in which CoolSculpting works. Once your fat cells are frozen (dead) they are excreted through your lymphatic system. This is a natural process and your body is already fully equipped to handle the destroyed fat cells and remove them.

Coolsculpting and upper back

Coolsculpting is approved and very effective for treatment of the upper back, or “bra fat.” Any place where the applicator can be safely applied the fat will be reduced from pre-treatment levels.

Lisa Airan, MD

Upper back treatment

The short answer is that as long as you are a candidate (based on initial consultation and examination) then it's certainly an option.  The upper back or "bra fat" area is one that we routinely treat with CoolSculpting and with good success.

Jeremy A. Brauer, MD

Zeltiq for upper back

This is a great area for Coolsculpting. It works very nicely provided you don't have any skin laxity. Good luck, Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon

Cool sculpting works great on the back

Cool sculpting works really well on the back with typically less pain than the abdomen.  The skin on the back is thicker and also tends to retract really well.  Please see a coolsculpting expert for a consultation. 

Melinda Haws, MD

Back Fat and Coolsculpting

Back fat is a very popular area to perform Coolsculpting.  It works extremely well and my patients love it since there is nothing else that works as well with only one hour! Best, Dr. Green

If you can squeeze it we can freeze it!

We can treat any of area of the body that has enough fat to be "sucked" into the hand piece.  Make sure to visit a board certified plastic surgeon or someone who has experience doing off label areas of the body.  In a lot of cases coolsculpting will work better than lipo in those areas.  Good luck! 

CoolSculpting For The Upper Back

CoolSculpting is FDA approved for use on the abdomen, love handles and thighs. However, we can use it off label anywhere that there is treatable fat. This includes the arms, back, and bra fat area. If you have enough fat that can be pulled into the suction based applicator, or if it is a large enough area to where the non-suction based applicator can be used then the area can be treated. Make sure you have an in-person consultation and evaluation by an experienced CoolSculpting physician in your area who can determine whether the treatment is appropriate for you. Hope this helps answer your question. 

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Upper Back Fat, Does CoolSculpting work?

Hello, Yes the upper back or "Bra area" can be successfully treated.  There are different applicators that fit different parts of the body. With the correct applicator, this are can benefit greatly. With CoolSculpting, it's all about the draw of tissue into the applicator, if the area has enough fat and laxity in order to be drawn deep into the applicator you will be a good candidate. Most facilities offer a free consultation, best to schedule a consultation to determine if you are a good candidate.

Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting for fat removal of the upper in our NYC practice

Yes. Some patients of mine have received treatment for upper back fat. In women, the infrabra fat, or the bulge immediately below the bra, is commonly requested to be treated. Our NYC practice has all the applicators that can be used with the CoolSculpting device from Zeltiq. As long as there is a localized bulge, that fits into one of the applicators, then CoolSculpting can be effectively used for most patients.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon