Do I choose 375cc or 400cc silicone implant? (Photos)

I've had a consultation for breast augmentation and I was told that 375-400cc will bring me up to a C small D cup. (No lift needed) I'm 23 years old, 5.11, 142lbs and currently a mid B cup with 13.5cm diameter. Would 375cc be enough to achieve a nice natural full C cup? Moderate plus profile, silicone, under the muscle. What are your thoughts? Thank you.

Choosing implant size is scary for some ladies, but having some perspective helps a lot

Do you know what the difference between a 375 cc and a 400 cc implant is?  When I ask my patients that kind of question, I usually get a sort of puzzled look.  Then I tell them it's 25 cc.  They can do the math; they know that.  So I still get the puzzled look.  Then I tell them that a shot glass, one ounce of fluid, is actually 30 cc, and the 25 cc they're fretting over is less than a shot glass in volume.  Usually at that point we all break out in laughter.  Some even ask when they get their shot of tequila!!  This is not to trivialize the issue - I mean, if it wasn't important at all, then why would they make implants that were 375 cc and 400 cc, right?  It's to provide some perspective on what very subtle changes in volume will look like.  When we look only at the "number," and especially when the number goes up into the next "hundred category" - like 375 going to 400, now we're in the "400's," it can be scary.  We have visions that at 375 cc we'll look pretty good, but at 400 cc we'll come out looking like Dolly Parton and have these really disproportionately huge breasts all of a sudden (which is perfectly fine if you're Dolly Parton or want to look like her!).  In truth, a 25 cc difference is very subtle, and with a round implant, in my experience, what we wind up seeing is a bit more fullness in the upper part of the breast, and maybe a little bit more width in the diameter of the overall breast depending upon how much of your own tissue you have to start with and what our base width measurement is.  But we won't bump up to the next bra size, and we won't change the overall proportions of your figure.  More often than not, I ask my patients to leave this kind of small difference to my judgment in the operating room, and I take pictures of what they want to look like into the OR with me.  Then I use temporary sizers once the pocket is made before committing to the final implant choice, and I see what each size looks like on them.  This is important because sizing preoperatively with sizers or implants on top of your breasts will only be an approximation of how your breasts will look once the implants are actually under the tissues.  Obviously, the only way we can see this is in the operating room, thus, in cases where there is still some minor uncertainty, I make the final call in the OR.  You're 5'11" with wide shoulders, so really, in either case you can't go wrong.  Your frame will likely support either, and if you've already done sizing, you know that the general range that you're considering is acceptable.  You have some of your own breast tissue, and this will both soften the contour of the implants, giving you what will likely be a very beautiful, natural result, as well as produce some fullness in addition to the implants.  The rest of the plan as you've outlined it sounds perfectly appropriate to me.  At this point, in my estimation, the best way to proceed is to communicate fully with your surgeon about your size, contour, and proportion preferences, arm him or her with good visual cues regarding your preferences in the form of pictures showing features of breasts you like, and then trust his or her judgment and expertise in the operating room to determine which of those two sizes produces the result most similar to what you are hoping for.  At some level, we all have to accept that this in large part is really the service that we as surgeons provide for our patients as the "designated experts."   I tell my patients all the time that if a procedure costs $1000, you pay me $100 for my time in doing it, and $900 for knowing what to do and how to do it!  As an aside, more often than not in these cases, I personally wind up going with the 25 cc larger implant, as that typically looks the best once we have the implant in the pocket and the tissues covering it.  However, this again is something that is between you and your surgeon based upon your own individual desires, your personality type and how you expect to project that through your appearance, and other similar things that can only be known through personal contact with you and getting to really know what your preferences are.  So, again, communication with your surgeon is key, and once you feel confident that he or she understands you, step back, relax, and let the expert do his or her job.  I know it's a scary feeling to trust someone like that, but a reputable surgeon won't take your trust lightly; he or she will respect that and want to work super hard to make you happy.  Best of luck with your surgery!

Getting the perfect breast size

• There are many steps I take to ensure that patients get the perfect breast size from their breast augmentation.  To date I have never had to revise implant size!  
  • I do several things to customize my patient's breast augmentation. I really like are to have patients use some flour in a baggy that they stuff in a bra and see how they like the look.  They can play around putting more or less, then measure the volume in a measuring cup. 
  • I also ask patients to bring photos of breasts that they want as well as breasts that are slightly too big and slightly too small.  The more information I have from patients the better I can customize their breast augmentation.  I use these photos to make sure that the result I give them matches their goals.
  • I also bring sizers to the operating room and a few different implant choices.  By doing so I can put an exact replica of the implant in and then compare it to a different implant replica to see which gives the perfect breast augmentation. It takes me a bit more time for sure.  However, I am not trying to be the fastest surgeon, I am trying to be the best plastic surgeon and provide my patients with the best breast augmentation result.
  • Dr Rodger Shortt is a plastic surgeon in Oakville.  He is the Director of the Cosmetic Surgery Training Program and an Assistant Clinical Professor at McMaster University.  He strives to provide the best possible plastic surgery results and excellent care to patients from the GTA including Oakville, Toronto, Mississauga, Georgetown, Milton, Burlington and Hamilton.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Silicone implants, some advices:

Thanks for the question. After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, I recommend you  silicone implants such as the "Cohesive Gel - Silicone Breast Implants" with textured cover ("gummy bear implants") They are quite safe and aesthetically best as they give a firmer consistency, better projection and natural appearance.Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Choosing breast implant size

Thank you for your question. Size is a critical question for many women who choose breast augmentation.  The common denominator to the most beautiful breasts is that they were sized objectively on the basis of measurements.  We combine a proven formula based on measurements of the rests and chest along with through discussions of patient's desires.  Photos of ideal breasts and results from patients with similar breasts are often very helpful in the discussion.  The key is to work with a Board Certified plastic surgeon with expertise and experience in breast augmentation.

Carolina Restrepo, MD
Colombia Plastic Surgeon

Both are probably ok.

It is just about impossible to discern visually the difference between a 375 cc and 400 cc implant once implanted in the breast. both for patients and for experienced plastic surgeons. In fact, one simply cannot tell what implant size is ever in any given patient just by looking at them. One way for you to answer this question for yourself, however, is to ask which of the following outcomes are you more worried about, being made too big, or not big enough? Based on your own answer to that question, you will have a pretty good idea of which implant might be better for you. That being said, it is best to look at plenty of Before and After galleries, ideally those of your surgeon< and let him or her know what your concept of ideal happens to be. Let those photos guide your surgeon in his or her decision making in surgery to select the implant that most closely gets you the outcome you are hoping to achieve. 
Nevertheless, without a physical examination it is difficult to respond with accuracy, but as mentioned above, the best way to determine which breast implant size is best for you is by first finding out your specific wishes not only with words or letters as in cup size or “not too big” or “natural”, but also with a visual understanding of what you hope to look like. This can be accomplished either with photographs of patients whose breasts and body type look like you, or ideally with photos of patients not only whose breasts are similar to yours, but are also a similar height, weight, and pre-operative breast size. In our own practice we have provided that unique functionality on our website to accomplish exactly that.  Unfortunately the most common reason for a woman to be unhappy after her augmentation is feeling as though she is either too big or not big enough. Thankfully, in our practice this is rarely a problem because implant size selection is what we spend most of our time discussing and determining. I do not place the onus of selecting the breast implant size on my patients since they are coming to me for my advice and expertise, but I do ask my patients to be as specific as possible about their aesthetic goals and I then advise them accordingly. Implants vary in width, projection and volume. This can be very confusing to women, who are used to discussing one number only such as “300 cc’s”. To better understand which implant is best for you, in our consultation room we have two shelves one above the other, each with four implants.  The top shelf has all the implants with exactly the same width (12.5 cm), yet the less projecting implant with that width is a 275 cc Moderate or Classic, and the most projecting is a 590 cc Ultra High Profile. On the lower shelf, all of the implants are 300 cc implants, yet the less projecting implant has a width or diameter of 12.8 cm, and the most projecting of the 300 cc implants is the Ultra High Profile which has a 9.7 cm diameter.  Once it is determined which implant width or diameter would best fit you, the next step is to decide which what sort of look you are hoping to achieve, i.e. more projection, moderate, or least. This is determined by how much breast tissue you have naturally, and how large you ultimately wish to be. All of this would be discussed during your consultation. And don’t be shy about coming prepared with images which you feel best represent your desired end point. These can be determined by visiting our gallery, or any other photos you wish to bring. The advantage of using our gallery is that all of the relevant information about patient age, implant size and type, are clearly indicated.  If you are confident with your selection of plastic surgeon, you should be all set. If you are not sure, I would advise you to seek a second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in breast enhancement surgery and make sure that your own sense of aesthetics aligns with that of your plastic surgeon. Your idea of “natural” or “pretty” or “proportionate” might be different from your plastic surgeon’s and it is very important for you to feel confident that you are both of like minds as far as the goals. Best of luck to you and I hope you are successful in achieving the enhancement you are seeking. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Implant Sizes

Great question. I believe you will look great with a 375/400cc Moderate Plus Profile. You will be more than thrilled. After surgery you will be swollen and look bigger than you actually will be! Give them time to heal and settle and you will get a great result. Good luck!

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Do I choose 375cc or 400cc silicone implant?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Unfortunately it is impossible to recommend the best implant style, size or shape without an in-person examination that allows for the measurement of key breast parameters, as well as permits an in-depth discussion as to your desired goals and outcome. I would recommend seeing an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon, they are in the best position to ensure that the implants the two of your decide upon are the right ones to meet your expectations.  It sounds as if it may be wise for you to "try on" several of the implants so that you can have a better visual representation as to what they would look like but 375-400cc implants will likely get you closer to a D or DD cup size.  Best wishes!

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

C cup

375-400cc is more than sufficient for a C cup.  Given the breast tissue you already have, you may be closer to a D cup.  At this size I would consider a high profile implant rather than a moderate plus.  Best wishes, Dr T

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

#Breast implants #size of implant

Be sure you seek the help of a board certified plastic surgeon preferably a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.In my opinion, the best way to determine the best size for you, is using specially designed sizers (Mentor company),  the second best option is using  silicone implants ( actual implants) however, because of the compact nature of the implant, they usually accentuate the size of the breast, And the patient should usually go with one size up from the implant they like.

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon