1 pound removed from each breast-estimated cup size.

I am having a breast reduction due to chronic, severe shoulder pain, and my surgeon didn't really tell me specifically what size I could end up as. I am currently a large DD. Any ideas? It is being covered by insurance, so at least 500 grams will be removed from each side. Thanks!

Standard reductions

in my hands usually result in at least a C cup or larger (yes, more than a handful end up with D cups)... unless my patient wanted a very aggressive reduction.

Approximately a C

This is a guess as it is not an exact science.  A lot will depend on your current measurements as 500 grams will make a great difference in someone with a narrow chest and less so with a broader chest.  Most surgeons will not predict an exact size as they know that it is not possible to do this.  It is important to concentrate on getting a good shape that is in proportion to the rest of your body.

Alastair J. Platt, FRCS (plast)
Hull Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction/Breast lift / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

I appreciate your question.

It depends on your chest wall measurements and existing breast tissue.  It also depends on the brand and style of bra you wear as size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Cup Size and Breast Volume

There are no formulas equating breast tissue removal and bra cup size. That's why your surgeon didn't tell you; he really doesn't know. This should not be a concern of yours though, as it is a medically covered procedure and not a cosmetic one, right?  Truth be told, if you have these symptoms, and they are due to your large breasts, then you want the greatest reduction possible. From a cosmetic prospective, smaller breasts have a sliming effect, and will make you look like you lost much more weight than the breast tissue removed. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

1 pound removed from each breast - estimated cup size.

Unfortunately, this question can't be answered with accuracy.  Cup sizes are not scientific measurements.  A Bally D cup is different than a Victoria's Secret D.  Further, no two women will agree on an appropriate bra size. I once had identical twin sisters in my practice, one swore she was a B cup while the other insisted she was a D cup, even though both looked like C cups to my  eye.  However, in most cases, a decrease of 500 grams per breast will usually decrease a breast by at least one cup size.  Best wishes, Dr Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Anticipated breast size after breast reduction should be reviewed with your surgeon.

There is a considerable amount of subjectivity in cup size as well as the anticipated results given a gram reduction. This particular question should be cleared up prior to going to the operating room.

When an experienced surgeon does a breast reduction it is done with 3 goals in mind...reduction of symptoms, an attractive and pleasing size and shape, and safety. No one can predict exact cup sizes. A cup size has to do with clothing fit and is the invention of bra manufacturers. There is no such thing as a C cup that is a specific size. It varies from one manufacturer to the next and a C on a small woman is dramatically different than a C on a larger woman. But all of this aside, you are going to be thrilled with how much better life is after the surgery. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast size after breast reduction surgery?

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

There is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon (who you should choose very carefully). Most patients wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful.  For example, I have found that the use of words such as “proportionate” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. 

Once you have communicated your goals carefully, your plastic surgeon will be able to provide you with an estimation of how much tissue will need to be removed, in order to achieve your desired outcome.

Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.