4mm or 5mm for Upper Lip?? (photos)

I am getting the Permalip implants in 2 weeks and I am going back and forth on what size to get. My upper lip is pretty thin compared to my bottom so I don't know if I should do 4's for both or 5mm on top and 4mm on bottom. I'd like to do the 5mm up top but I'm worried my lip won't accomodate it well. My PS thought either would be just fine, but I worry if I go with the 4mm it won't be very noticable. Thoughts?

Lip Implant Sizes

Thank you for your question and pictures.  Most of my patients which opt to have Permalip have once had lip filler, therefore to make it easier to understand a 4mm lip implant would be like having 1ml of lip filler and a 5mm lip implant would be like having 1.5-2ml of lip filler.  

Naturally your bottom lip should be bigger than your top lip - looking at the lips as a whole, the bottom lips should be 3/4 in size and the top 1/4 in size, therefore you may decide to have a larger implant in the top than the bottom.  

Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.

Permalip implants - what size?

Thank you for asking about your Permalip implants.

• This is a decision that you will have to make -
  • The Permalip implants work very nicely but even the largest will not give you big lips -
  • So I suggest to my patients that they have the size 5 implant.
  • That would be fine for you if you want to maintain the difference between your upper and lower lips.
  • If you want the upper lip to be, proportionally, larger then have a larger implant there and the 4 in the lower lip.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

4mm or 5mm for Upper Lip??

Thank you for your question.  Most patients will do well with a 4mm implant.  Very rarely does a 5mm implant do well with one who has never had implants.  If one has implants and is looking to go larger then a 5mm may be appropriate.  I would start with a face to face consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in lip implants. During your visit your surgeon should be evaluating your health to determine if you are a good surgical candidate and examining your tissues to get a sense of what type of procedure your tissues will allow. Only with a hands on exam can this be determined. During the consult you and the surgeon should be understanding of the goals and realistic outcomes of your choices. Once an exam and opinion is rendered then you can decide if surgery is right for you. Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

4mm or 5mm for Upper Lip??

Hi, I have performed many Lip Augmentations over the past 30 years using dermal fillers or various lip implants including Permalip. Your upper lip is too thin for a 5mm Permalip implant in my humble opinion.  The Permalip implant requires adequate lip tissue be present to accommodate the implant which does not appear be present in your upper lip.
Hope this helps.