Is there anything I can do to help regain sensitivity in nipples?

I had a breast lift and aug a little over 3 weeks ago and have regained feeling in my one nipple and only half in my other nipple. Is there anything I can do to speed the process of nerve regeneration along? Massage of some sort, pinching,..?

Nipple Sensation

It sounds like you are on your way to recovery. There is nothing to do to speed the process. Best wishes.

Nipple sensation after Breast Augmentation

Thanks for reaching out.  It is very common to have alterations in your nipple sensation in the immediate post op period after breast augmentation.  If you are slowly regaining sensation I would say you have a good chance of returning to normal.  It may take up to 3-6 months, and even some cases 12 months.  I would say whatever you sensation is after 12 months would likely be what you are left with.  Since you are only 3 weeks post op you have a lot of time to go.
I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon

Sensation

If you are regaining sensation, then that is a good thing. Often it is due to swelling and if improving this quickly, it will likely improve more over the next several weeks. Best of luck.

Time, time and more time

As you are just over 3 weeks post-op, you have not given your body a chance to heal.  It is not uncommon that there are changes in nipple sensation following your procedures.  There are two types of sensation that are experienced.  The first is tactile - that is when you touch your nipples and the other erotic.  Typically, you might lose tactile sensation, however erotic is enhanced because you feel better about yourself.  The quick answer to your question is to give it plenty of time,  sometimes as long as 1 year.  Best of luck. 

Breast lift - have lost nipple sensitivity

Thank you for asking about your breast lift and augmentation.
  • The best approach is to leave the nipple alone.
  • Swelling can cause loss of feeling -
  • Let your body heal.
  • If the feeling is slowly returning, it should fully return in time.
  • Be sure to tell your surgeon so s/he can follow your recovery.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS