Are CC's the same in saline & silicone? Meaning are they equivalent? (Photo)

Does one have to add more cc's to one over the other for them to balance out? I see some post op pics where 2 women may have gotten saline and silicone, one may be 450 cc's & one may be 500 or 550 & the 450 looks bigger. I know that no two bodies are a like but cc's play a factor?

Cc's are similar

a cc of silicone is the same volume as a cc of saline - but I agree with other's answers on here that in some cases saline and silicone implants of similar volume may give different final appearances.  overall anatomy also plays a significant role in this.

Yes, but...

You ask very good questions, the answers to which are not as simple as one would think. For example, dependent on a specific patient's situation, the use of saline versus silicone breast implants may not matter. For another patient, for example one with less breast tissue coverage, the type of breast implant used can make a big difference. In other words, there are many variables to consider when selecting breast implant type, size, profile etc. for a specific patient. This is why “online consultation” can never be as useful as in-person consultation.

Furthermore, there are many variables besides body measurements that come into play when deciding upon the best implant type/size/profile to help achieve a specific patient's goals. This is where plastic surgery becomes "an art”, not just a science.

Generally speaking, I do find that it takes different volumes using saline versus silicone gel breast implants to achieve the same “look”. Usually, a larger volume silicone gel breast implant is necessary to achieve the same look that is achieved with a saline breast implant (at least in my experience).

Also, generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” or "fake look" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to larger breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps.

Size of implants

Thank you for your question. One cc is one cc. However, the projection vs base of the implants, the pre-existing breast tissue, the width of chest all play critical roles in the appearance of the size of the implants. You should have your PS size you to give you the best recommendation.

Neil T. Chen, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Are CC's the same in saline & silicone

There are many variables that determine the outcome of breast augmentation with implants. These include the anatomy of the body in the breasts, the pre-existing amount of breast tissue, skin quality, implant types and shapes. The one constant is cubic centimeters (cc). A cc is the same whether it is saline or silicone gel. Another name for a cc is a milliliter. This is a standard unit of measurement.

What's a CC?

Of course a CC is a CC, no matter if it's in a saline implant, silicone implant, or in a Pepsi can.  a CC is just a measure of volume, so 400cc of volume is the same in Saline, Silicone, Coffee, or milk.

Breast implants are not however compared based on CC only (as patients might think), but more importantly based on dimensions (width, height, and projection).  You will not be able to determine what size implant someone has by looking at their pre-op or post-op picture.

It's also possible for two women the same breast cup size to need different implants to achieve a good result, since the space of the breast and the dimensions of the chest might be different, even if the "cup size" is the same.

In short, you'd be better of forgetting about CCs and cup sizes, and focusing instead of dimensions, shape, and final goal.

Cc's silicone vs saline

The number of cc's in saline vs silicone is the same, it is a volume measurement. The difference in appearance may be attributed to the location of the implant, the pocket dissection, and the profile of the implant device. 

Dr. Burnett

Saline vs Silicone

Yes- volume is volume.  500 cc of Saline and 500 cc of Silicone are equivalent in volume- just as a quart of milk and a quart of orange juice are both equivalent volumes.  I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'balance out' but as long as the cc's are the same then the volume/size is the same.  This has nothing to do with shape and 500cc implants come in a variety of shapes- even though they're all 500cc in size.  I hope this helps!

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Saline and silicone volumes

CC's are CC"s.  They are the same for silicone and saline but the shapes may be a bit different. Best of luck.

Are CC's the same in saline & silicone? Meaning are they equivalen

Different size implants are used at times in cases where there is a difference in size of the breast before the surgery. When it comes to saline versus silicone, 300cc is still 300cc, same shape and size.

Julio Garcia, MD

Sal vs silicone cc

Hello. Thanks for your inquiry. One cc of saline is the same as one cc of silicone.   Sometimes we used different sizes based on the Preop sizes.   Also we can add and subtract some fluid to saline implants at the time of surgery to make breasts even.  Good luck 

Sanjay Lalla, MD, FACS
West Orange Plastic Surgeon