8 days post op the left breast implant is still sore/pain and swollen, is this normal?

I am 8 days post op from a full tummy tuck and a implants 385cc. My concern is my left breast implant. It is still very sore and looks swollen or bigger than my right one. My nurse doesn't seem to be concern but is this normal? My left has almost a burning pain on the inside. If I lift my arm or move the arm I can feel the soreness in the left but not in my right. Any recommendations on what to do help move the process along with the left breast or is this a normal thing?

Breast Augmentation Recovery

It is not uncommon for one breast to be more tender on one side. However, swelling more on one side than the other can be a concern and should be evaluated by your surgeon. In the early stages of recovery the breasts can look and feel different. It is possible that you are experiencing nerve pain on your sore side. This is something that can be improved with a 2 week trial of gabapentin. As time goes on and you are still concerned be sure to talk to your surgeon.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Some soreness is normal

At 8 days after your breast augmentation, some swelling and soreness isn’t uncommon when lifting or moving your arms, especially if you had submuscular placement. While breast augmentation is a single procedure, you have two incisions and surgery sites that may heal at different rates. Your right breast may simply be healing quicker than the left. Make an appointment to talk with your plastic surgeon and ask about recommendations specifically for you to improve the healing process. In the meantime, continue to strictly follow your post-op instructions.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Recovery after augmentation

Congratulations on your augmentation! Everyone recovers differently and it really depends on what kind of augmentation you had and if the same thing was done on both sides. Sometimes increased activity with one arm more than the other can lead to unmasking new pain. If the breast looks different and feels different, it is important to maintain follow up with your doctor and have your concerns addressed in person as well. Everyone has different threshholds and types of pain. Somtimes a supportive bra can help but you should check with your doctor if they would be fine with you being in a bra. You are still very early in the recovery period. Best of luck, MMT

Implant soreness

Each breast may respond differently to implants.  It is not uncommon for one to be a bit more tender than the other.  If concerned, then follow closely with your surgeon.

Post op care in breast augmentation

Early on breasts can look and feel different from one another. Swelling is a part of the normal course. If one of your breasts is significantly more swollen compared to the other side, you should follow up with your surgeon sooner to make sure you are healing well.  Good luck!

8 days post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
Its too early to talk about final results.
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question. You are still very early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Swelling usually accounts for 10 - 15% of the initial post-operative appearance. The implants may swell asymmetrically, but usually settle evenly. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Thank you for your question.  Nothing replaces an in-person examination or full series of photographs, but it is not uncommon to have different recovery symptoms for each breast after augmentation.  This is largely because not each side of a woman's chest is symmetrical.  One may have required more work than the other in order to place the implants.  Unless there has been an acute change in appearance or sensation all is likely well, but voice your concerns to your surgeon.

Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Silicone Implants/Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, I would recommend that you contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon