Botox or fillers for horizontal line between eyebrows? (photos)

I'm almost thirty and I lost a lot of weight a few years ago and my face has some loose skin now. it doesn't bother me too much except I have this line between my eyebrows and I think it makes me look angry. I thought it was pimple scars but it creases when I squint too. I was thinking of getting botox for my tension headaches which develop in my forehead and over my eyes but I was wondering if I could also fix that line between my eyebrows as well.

Botox for frown lines

Thank you for your question dochia. Botox I a purifies protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression such as the vertical lines between the brows seen when one frowns. The pivotal studies demonstrated that when a dose of 20 units is used in this area, most people enjoy their results for 3-4 months and peak effect is seen at 14 days. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox effect

Botox is very commonly used to treat the lines between the eyes in the glabella that appear during frowning or squinting.  I think this would be a worthwhile procedure for you to consider.  See a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist to discuss your options.

Botox for glabellar lines

Botox works great for dynamic lines between your eyebrows (globular lines).  It is a quick procedure and my patients love the results.  Always seek treatment from a qualified professional.  Good luck!

Jennifer Trent, MD, FAAD
Sarasota Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox or fillers for horizontal line between eyebrows?

Hi, I have used Botox (Xeomin or Dysport) for 30 years. The lines in your Glabellar region, can easily be treated. Over the years, I have found that approach to be quick, painless, highly effective when properly performed.
Hope this helps.

Botox for lines

I like to start off with Botox for facial lines of animation in this area. If the botox does not improve it to your satisfaction. then perhaps filler may enhance the result.

Combination of filler and botox best for static creases in frown

It is best to use Botox to relax the underlying cause of the crease, which is the muscle, and dermal fillers will help to fill in the line at rest. In this region there is a limited arterial blood supply to the area, and care needs to be taken when filling the area. Injection of filler into the arteries here can cause death (necrosis) of the skin. A scary possibility also is filler injections going into the arteries here and moving along these arteries into the arteries that supply the eye, causing blindness. This is a rare but real complication of fillers in this area. To optimise safety in this area, your doctor should use only small amounts of filler in this area, injected carefully with blunt-tipped cannulas and not needles. Blunt tipped cannulas tend to be less likely to enter into arteries, but instead push them aside. 

Gavin Chan, MBBS
Melbourne Physician

Correcting Vertical Line between the Eyebrows

Vertical lines between the eyebrows are caused by the underlying corrugator muscle contraction. If, when you relax that muscle, that line disappears, then all you need is Botox to stop the muscle from contracting. If, however, the line is still there when the muscle is relaxed, you need a filler in addition to the Botox. Make sure you see a physician with significant experience in treating this area.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Filler

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Sorry to hear that you are having some concerns about your facial appearance.  Based on your photograph, it appears that a combination of Botox and a filler such as Juvederm would be required in order to achieve your desired result.  Please be sure to see an experienced injector for an in-person consultation in order to fully address your concerns, discuss your goals and expectations, and determine the best course of action.  Best wishes!

A combination of both Botox and fillers might be needed. At your physical exam your Doctor will be able to determine what would work best.

Deep radix or procerus line?

It depends on whether the line is from muscle movement or a deep radix. If muscle then Botox. If a deep radix, then fillers as long as it works with the shape of your bridge. If neither, consider skin tightening of the forehead. 

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon