After having fat transfer to the buttocks for a BBL, what happens if you sit the 6th day after surgery? Do you kill the fat?

After having fat transfer to the buttocks for a bbl , what happens if you sit the 6th day after surgery? Do you kill the fat?

Sitting after a BBL

Not sitting for days after a BBL is something not all doctors agree, since we may have different ways to do the procedure. I particularly advise my patients to sit right away, it will not affect their results. If you prefer, another option is to use a pillow under your buttocks so you don't put too much pressure on them. 

Brazilian butt lift aftercare.

Thank you for your question. The best person to advice you will be you chosen surgeon as every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures. With Brazilian butt lift we transfer fat from one area of the body to the other.  These fat cells are transferred in microinjections throughout multiple planes in the buttock tissue so that they can gain new blood supply and live in their new home, providing increased volume and shape to the buttocks. Postoperatively, no specific position is indicated and we do not have any sitting restrictions.  The pressure caused by sitting is not sufficient to affect viability of the fat cells and so the postsurgical position depends basically on comfort and any other operations that have been performed. 

The advice about sitting or not sitting after a BBL. In my practice where we perform many BBL procedures on a weekly basis I advise my patients to limit sitting during first 10 days. During that time when you sit you should sit for short periods and use a neck pillow like the ones used on a plane. These measures tend to decrease the pressure placed on the buttocks , and thereby the transferred fat cells. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Sitting After Brazilian Butt Lift

Your newly transplanted fat after a Brazilian Butt Lift needs oxygen from blood flow. When you sit on the butt, you're compressing your blood vessels which decreases blood flow and subsequently the oxygen reaching the fat. Low oxygen equals fat death. Additionally putting pressure on your buttocks will flatten the newly malleable fat. I advise my patients to put no pressure on the buttocks for a minimum of 6 weeks after BBL. I provide a special sitting roll (NOT a donut roll as this type of roll pushes on the butt) that keeps the butt elevated while sitting. No one wants a bigger, but flattened buttocks! 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.... After a brazilian butt lift, the better is to use a boopy pillow for at least 8 weeks from the procedure to protect the buttock shape, because the fat is moldable and also can get absorbed by our own body in almost a 40%, so is not good to sit without the pillow..

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

That's a good question. The reason plastic surgeons want their BBL patients to not sit on their buttocks for the first few weeks is that the fat is beginning to form small blood vessels. These blood vessels allow the fat cells to survive. If you sit on your buttocks, there is a potential that these early, "small" blood vessels can be disrupted, causing cell death. So if you sit on your buttock on the 6th day, you may prevent some fat cells from surviving during the early post op period. 

Pressure on buttock after BBL

Putting pressure on the newly transferred fat shortly after surgery can result in fat necrosis and prevent fat graft survival. Every surgeon has a different protocol for the amount of time you should avoid buttock pressure. Make sure to follow-up with your surgeon. It is important to follow postoperative instructions to optimize results. 

#BBL #ShapedExtraJuicy #liposuction #fattransfer #BrazilianButtLift #DrSej #fatgrafting #fatsurvival #BBLrecovery #beverlyhills #curves #weightloss #bodysculpting 

Sejal M. Patel, MD

It is important to consult with your surgeon about their post-operative instructions, as each surgeon has slightly different post-operative protocols. I recommend to my patients that they do not sit on their bottoms for long periods of time for the first three weeks. The first week I do not recommend any sitting or pressure on the buttocks, days 8-14 the patient may sit up to 5 minutes two times per day.  Days 15-21 the patient may sit up to 9 minutes five times a day only then days 22 and beyond sitting is fine as long as the patient is comfortable. If you must sit for long periods sooner, I definitely do recommend the BBL pillow and getting up every 10-15 minutes to walk around until you are at least three weeks post op. Sitting too long and too soon after a BBL can kill some of the fat cells. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon