Will submuscular implants be more painful because I lift weights?

Hi and thanks in advance for your responses. I am scheduled to have breast implants silicone submuscular in a month (475-500) . I am 5 feet 5 inches and weigh 140 and am a small b cup. Here's my question... I currently weight train and have some pretty defined pec muscles. Will this make recovery easier, harder or will it even make a difference? Thanks again.

Post Op Submuscular Discomfort

Implants placed under the muscle can be more painful for the first few days and many patients find that their pectoral muscles swell creating a top-heavy or squared look  but this will improve drastically by 2 weeks post op and then continue to settle over the first few months. I allow my patients to return to upper body work outs at 6 weeks post op- slowly increasing weight over the first few months.
Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about what to expect as you are healing.
All the best

Submuscular implants more painful with weight lifting?

Thank you for your question.  This is a common question and the answer is no.  Initially you may be a bit more sore in the first 2-5 days after surgery, but you quickly recover.  I have many weight lifters and fit models in my practice and they have no trouble getting back to the gym.  Typically restrictions are lifted 6 weeks after surgery.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Submuscular implants

Thank you for your question.  Submuscular implants initially are more painful after surgery.  Long-term this should not interfere with your weightlifting.  I often operate on athletes who lift and most are back in the gym within 8 weeks!Best Wishes!

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Recovery

Hello,Pectoralis muscle development has not effect on recovery or pain after surgery, but implant size does. Large implants, especially ones that are much larger then recommended based on tissue based measurements do cause more pain and discomfort. There is more surgery involved and more tissue stretch and tension. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question. So I think going under the muscle does make things a bit more sore, but the benefits out weigh the risks. Your surgeon should go over the pros and cons of going under vs over the muscle. It should not delay how long it takes you to recover. I almost exclusively place them under the muscle and most patients heal just fine and have no prolonged pain. 
Sincerely,
DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

Weights and submuscular breast augmentation

Thank you for asking. The recovery with defined pecs will be pretty similar to others. The significant issue for some patients is animation. The breast implants in a submuscular position could move with certain flexed positions. The implants above the muscle (subglandular or subfascial) have nearly no animation issue but not all patients are good candidates. See a board certified plastic surgeon who can discuss the pros and cons of the different positions. Best wishes!

Weight training and sub muscular breast implants

My patients seem to have a similar recovery time regardless of their pec muscle development. I advise my patients to start light weight training at about 5 to 6 weeks and take two weeks to gradually get back to their full pre-op weight lifting. I have a couple of triple crown body builders who returned to competition after breast augmentation surgery. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Hope this info helps.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Good question

Thanks for your question.  Generally speaking, subpectoral / subglandular implant placement with biplaner release of the pectoralis major muscle results in no long term restriction in activity and minimal animation deformity (movement of the breast with flexion of the pectoralis major muscle).  Most surgeons would restrict exercise with your chest muscle group for four to twelve weeks depending on the surgeon.

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast augmentation surgery. I have not noticed that patients who train with weights have a more difficult time with the recovery period  after breast augmentation surgery compared to patients who do not.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Thank you for your question.   Personally, I always place implants under the muscle.   There is less risk of capsular contracture, which is the most common complication of augmentation surgery, and there is evidence that mammography surveillance for breast cancer is more accurate.    The single problem associated with submuscular placement vs subglandular placement is animation.   Animation is the movement of the implant on flexing of the pectoralis muscle.   It doesn't occur in every patient but it is a risk.   I allow my patients to tone their chest wall after augmentation but discourage them from heavy weight lifting.   I hope this helps.