How Does One Find an Experienced Doctor for Restylane for Sunken Eyes?

For best results for underneath deep set eyes, as this is a delicate area and the feedback keeps saying to find a doctor with experience. What questions does one ask when interviewing doctors?

Doctor Answers 11

How to find an experienced physician for filler injections

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

First of all, please pardon the self-serving attitude of the plastic surgeons who recommend you only see a plastic surgeon. Regardless of their specialty, always ask about the experience of the injecting physician and make sure they have all of the "tools" to use, such as all of the various facial fillers (Sculptra, Radiesse, Perlane, Restylane, and Juvederm) that are approved for use in the United States. Always ask to see before and after pictures of patients they have personally injected. If possible, look for someone who is on the medical education faculty for one of the facial fillers. If they have been selected to train other physicians how to treat the aging face they are likely to be good, experienced injectors.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Doctor for Restylane for my Sunken Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The restylane usa website has a physican finder which can be used to identify qualified injectors in your area. Careful consultation with 3 - 4 experienced and expert injectors will help you identify the one that best fits your needs.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS
West Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

How to Choose an Injector?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello.  The under eye area is one of the more difficult injection techniques to perform well, at least for those not trained.  One of the key questions to ask, regardless of the injector, is what technique are they using.

There is a very specific technique where the product is injected "under the muscle".  You should know whether your injector will use this or not.  Any tear trough procedure we have ever seen that where the patient is unhappy is invariably one where this technique was not used.  The skin under the eye is very thin and dermal fillers are not easily placed in the same manner under the eye as they are in other areas of the face.  This is the reason to inject under the muscle in this area.  

Also, ask for photos and better yet, get a referral from a friend.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend speaking with a board certified plastic surgeon who performs both blepharoplasty and injects fillers in this area. If they have experience with both procedures they can advise you as to the best course of treament. Some who only has one hamer will do the same thing all of the time. You should look for someone who can utulize all of the available surgical techniques and fillers.


David L. Abramson, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon

Sunken eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would suggest seeing a board-certified Facial Plastic Surgeon.  They are the only surgeons who deal exclusively with the face and neck.  Often, fillers aren't the best choice for sunken eyes.  In addition, Restylane may not be the best choice.  It often will migrate after a few months and leave little bags under the eyes.  The placement of the filler is important.  Sometimes, only a subtle sub dermal injection is needed.  Often, a deeper injection is required.  Someone who has operated on the structures around the lower lid many times is best able to place the injection in the correct area.  Please use Arnica and Bromelin before the injection and avoid aspirin.  This will lead to decreased bruising.

David Alessi, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Dark circles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Although this treatment has become more common, with more doctors performing it, consult someone with expertise in the anatomy of the region.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.


Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Selecting an experienced injector

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I recommend that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, not just because of my own training and experience, but because plastic surgeons have many techniques available in addition to filler.  I am less inclined to recommend filler if I do not think that it will satisfy the patient's needs and can discuss a whole range of treatment options.  If you see a physician who can only offer you filler, then you are more likely to be pushed in that direction as opposed to an objective assessment of your condition. Ask yourself if you are comfortable with the physician you've seen.  Did he spend enough time with you and address your concerns?  Was the staff congenial?  Did you feel that you were treated like an individual?  Who will perform the injections?  Will any analgesia be provided?  If you believe that there is a complication, does the doctor have a 24 hour answering service?  You will know what questions are most important to you--don't hesitate to ask them!

Look at examples of Before and Afters when choosing an injector

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The tear trough and under eye area is a place that responds well to fillers.  Placing fillers in the tear trough and cheek area can greatly improve the appearance of the face.  Making it look younger and more rested.

One caveat is that this can be a challenging area.  It is helpful to find an injector who specializes in the under eye area.  I think it is particularly helpful to see before and after images of other patients with similar issues under the eyes.

Good luck in your search for information.

David C. Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 156 reviews

Experienced Injector For Restylane Under Your Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you have friends that have had it done and have been pleased with the outcome, this is a good place to start.  Next, consult with your Dermatologist as to whether or not he or she has had experience with fillers in this area.  It is a delicate area.  Any injector who tells you that he or she has NEVER had a patient bruise or get a lump or need a touch up, has not injected enough patients and does not have enough experience!

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

How to find a Restylane doctor.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


This is an article I wrote about how to find a good doctor for plastic procedures in general.  Items (1) through (6) should be useful to you.

1) Is the surgeon a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery? Members usually do a lot of cosmetic procedures.

2) Did you sense a commitment to excellence in the office. Did the surgeon spend a lot of time with you? Someone who rushes through the consultation may rush through the procedure.

3) Were you treated as an individual? Did the surgeon present you with a plan tailor made for you?

4) Plastic surgeons have to have a good eye and meticulous technique.  Did the surgeon show you A LOT of before and after pictures, and did you love the results?

5) Talk to other doctors you know. Established plastic surgeons have a reputation in the community, good or bad.

6)  Ask to speak to a patient who has had the procedure you want.  You are looking for a surgeon who does a lot of what you want.   Many  patients are eager to share their experience.  Privacy is preserved by having the patient call you.

7)  If you are having breast augmentation, ask if the surgeon has a large inventory of different size and shape breast implants available in the operating room.  A surgeon who does a lot of breast surgery will have an inventory.  This way, the final implant choice does not have to be made in advance.

8)   With office surgery, make sure the surgical facility is ACCREDITED.   Very important safety assurance.

9)   Make sure the anesthesia is given by a BOARD CERTIFIED ANESTHESIOLOGIST.  Another very important safety factor.

10)  Make sure the office has trained nurses available for hands-on post operative care.  This can really speed recovery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.