Is It Possible to Find Low to No Cost Mommy Makeover Surgery Anywhere?

I am a 31 year old stay at home mom who has recently busted butt to lose 70 lbs and after having 3 c-sections and breastfeeding all 3 of those babies my body is in desperate need of repair but being a stay at home mom I can't afford it. Are there doctors who will take on a pro bono case possible for me due to my weight loss and such? I just want to be happy but even my size 8 jeans can't make me smile when I have to tuck my belly skin into them. thank you

Cosmetic surgery is never free

Congratulations on your weight loss. Depending on how much loose skin you have you may qualify for a panniculectomy (cutting just the excess skin that hangs down from your tummy) paid for by insurance. This will not address your breasts or give you the best result for your tummy, but it will make your jeans fit better. Best of luck.

Finding Low to No Cost Mommy Makeover Surgery

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   The costs of a #Mommy Makeover will depend on several factors. Such include the geographic location, the skill and experience of the surgeon, and operating room and anesthesia fees.  Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.   Most importantly, your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Mommy makeovers are considered cosmetic.

It takes a lot of hard work and determination to lose weight, especially while raising your kids. Unfortunately, there are no low-cost or free mommy makeovers, but there are financing plans for people who, like you, are candidates for cosmetic surgery but need to pay for procedures in installments. The primary example of this is the CareCredit® card, which can be used specifically for health and beauty needs and functions like a typical credit card. Most plastic surgeons these days are familiar with options like CareCredit® and their staff can explain more about the application process.

Your Potential Mommy Makeover

Congratulations on your substantial weight loss and for taking this important step toward a healthier, more aesthetic lifestyle. Still, as with most expenses in life, you get what you pay for in cosmetic surgery. The difference in this case is that you are dealing with the appearance of your body and your satisfaction with your results. While some surgeons offer pro bono services to patients in return for media exposure, it is more important that the plastic surgeon with which you move forward is experienced and qualified to perform your mommy makeover. Some other options you may want to consider are setting up a payment plan with your surgeon or financing the cost of your surgery. Many offices work with companies such as CareCredit to make cosmetic goals more affordable to their patients.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Consider the risks of getting a free surgery

While you can always contact a bunch of plastic surgeons to find out if they would be willing to perform your surgery for free, are you willing to take the risk? Surgery is a serious choice to make because of the related risks, and it's important that you choose the right board certified plastic surgeon who has good experience and performs surgery in an accredited facility.  

Free mommy makeover?

There are not likely any free mommy makeovers.  However, you can get some significant savings if you can find a doctor that will advocate on your behalf and write letters to insurance providers.  The two procedures that can be covered by insurance are a breast reduction which also lifts the breast and makes them perky and a panniculectomy.  Although the latter is not a tummy tuck, if it is covered by insurance it will potentially save you thousands of dollars off the cost of your tummy tuck procedure.

You could also enquire as to whether their is a chief resident clinic where the most senior plastic surgery residents, under the supervision of a staff surgeon, perform your surgery.  There can be significant cost savings with that as well.

Dr Rodger Shortt
Oakville Plastic Surgeon
Ass't Clin Professor &
Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training,
McMaster University

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Fees

First off, make sure you go to a board certified plastic surgeon for any plastic surgery. There are many cosmetic surgeons who may not be trained in plastic surgery who still can offer you surgery. Second, don't let price drive you to have surgery from a surgeon with whom you are not comfortable with. Third, you need to decide between breast augmentation, breast lift, liposuction, mini-tummy tuck, full tummy tuck, and body lift procedures.
In Columbus, Ohio where I practice, the total price (surgeon's fees, anesthesia fees and facility fees) for a mommy makeover can range between $6000 and $14000

Mommy Makeover Surgery - Usually Not Pro Bono

Losing seventy pounds is a tremendous accomplishment. Unfortunately, when this type of weight loss occurs it’s often accompanied by the development of loose saggy skin. The breasts, abdomen, flanks, arms and thighs are especially prone to this type of sag.

Unfortunately, procedures of this type are expensive and aren’t generally done on a “pro bono” basis. In the Midwestern United States this type of procedure would cost between $11,000 and $13,000. This would include facility fees, surgeon’s fees, anesthesia charges and implant costs.

There’s probably no question that you would benefit from these procedures. Since you have limited funds and a significant need for these procedures you might consider other options. It might be possible to obtain plastic surgery financing through Care Credit. Staging these procedures might also be appropriate until more funds are available. In some cases, it may be possible to lower cost by going to a resident clinic at a teaching hospital.

The vast majority of massive weight loss patients develop excess saggy skin. The correction of these problems is not unique. If everything else fails, saving additional funds is a possibility. Although this may be difficult, it’s probably easier then losing seventy pounds.

Cost

I would advise you to visit one of the large medical centers in your area that have surgical training programs.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover

If you live near a university, perhaps they need clients to donate abdomens to give students (Plastic Surgery Students) an opportunity to practice tummy tucks and other procedures.  Otherwise, due to the high cost of overhead, pro-bono surgery is very rare, and with plastic surgery being on the downturn, incomes down, many plastic surgeons closing up surgery centers, economically, the timing is very bad.  I wish you the best on this challenging endeavor.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon