Is It Possible to Find Low to No Cost Mommy Makeover Surgery Anywhere?

I am a 31 year old stay at home mom who has recently busted butt to lose 70 lbs and after having 3 c-sections and breastfeeding all 3 of those babies my body is in desperate need of repair but being a stay at home mom I can't afford it. Are there doctors who will take on a pro bono case possible for me due to my weight loss and such? I just want to be happy but even my size 8 jeans can't make me smile when I have to tuck my belly skin into them. thank you

Cosmetic surgery is never free

Congratulations on your weight loss. Depending on how much loose skin you have you may qualify for a panniculectomy (cutting just the excess skin that hangs down from your tummy) paid for by insurance. This will not address your breasts or give you the best result for your tummy, but it will make your jeans fit better. Best of luck.

Mommy makeovers are considered cosmetic.

It takes a lot of hard work and determination to lose weight, especially while raising your kids. Unfortunately, there are no low-cost or free mommy makeovers, but there are financing plans for people who, like you, are candidates for cosmetic surgery but need to pay for procedures in installments. The primary example of this is the CareCredit® card, which can be used specifically for health and beauty needs and functions like a typical credit card. Most plastic surgeons these days are familiar with options like CareCredit® and their staff can explain more about the application process.

First off, make sure you go to a board certified plastic surgeon for any plastic surgery. There are many cosmetic surgeons who may not be trained in plastic surgery who still can offer you surgery. Second, don't let price drive you to have surgery from a surgeon with whom you are not comfortable with. Third, you need to decide between breast augmentation, breast lift, liposuction, mini-tummy tuck, full tummy tuck, and body lift procedures.
In Columbus, Ohio where I practice, the total price (surgeon's fees, anesthesia fees and facility fees) for a mommy makeover can range between $6000 and $14000

Mommy Makeover Surgery - Usually Not Pro Bono

Losing seventy pounds is a tremendous accomplishment. Unfortunately, when this type of weight loss occurs it’s often accompanied by the development of loose saggy skin. The breasts, abdomen, flanks, arms and thighs are especially prone to this type of sag.

Unfortunately, procedures of this type are expensive and aren’t generally done on a “pro bono” basis. In the Midwestern United States this type of procedure would cost between $11,000 and $13,000. This would include facility fees, surgeon’s fees, anesthesia charges and implant costs.

There’s probably no question that you would benefit from these procedures. Since you have limited funds and a significant need for these procedures you might consider other options. It might be possible to obtain plastic surgery financing through Care Credit. Staging these procedures might also be appropriate until more funds are available. In some cases, it may be possible to lower cost by going to a resident clinic at a teaching hospital.

The vast majority of massive weight loss patients develop excess saggy skin. The correction of these problems is not unique. If everything else fails, saving additional funds is a possibility. Although this may be difficult, it’s probably easier then losing seventy pounds.

Finding Low to No Cost Mommy Makeover Surgery

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   The costs of a #Mommy Makeover will depend on several factors. Such include the geographic location, the skill and experience of the surgeon, and operating room and anesthesia fees.  Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.   Most importantly, your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Low cost or free surgery

Unfortunately it is rare to find a free lunch and also rare to find free cosmetic surgery.  There are some academic training programs which have a "residents clinic" in which a trainee performs your surgery with a rather variable amount of supervision.  It is a terrific learning experience for the young doctor but this is not necessarily what I would choose for a family member.  best of luck! 

Your Potential Mommy Makeover

Congratulations on your substantial weight loss and for taking this important step toward a healthier, more aesthetic lifestyle. Still, as with most expenses in life, you get what you pay for in cosmetic surgery. The difference in this case is that you are dealing with the appearance of your body and your satisfaction with your results. While some surgeons offer pro bono services to patients in return for media exposure, it is more important that the plastic surgeon with which you move forward is experienced and qualified to perform your mommy makeover. Some other options you may want to consider are setting up a payment plan with your surgeon or financing the cost of your surgery. Many offices work with companies such as CareCredit to make cosmetic goals more affordable to their patients.

Miguel Delgado, MD

MM cost

Thanks for your question.

It's great that you lost weight.  A MM would likely improve your appearance further.  Cosmetic surgery usually isn't offered on a pro bono basis and it will be difficult for you to find surgery at low or no cost.  

Some surgeons may be willing to work with you for promotional opportunities and it is worth trying to find a surgeon that you trust to do your surgery and talk with him or her to see if some mutually beneficial agreement could be possible.

Shim Ching, MD

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Consider the risks of getting a free surgery

While you can always contact a bunch of plastic surgeons to find out if they would be willing to perform your surgery for free, are you willing to take the risk? Surgery is a serious choice to make because of the related risks, and it's important that you choose the right board certified plastic surgeon who has good experience and performs surgery in an accredited facility.  

You may consider postponing... and saving.

Pregnancy and weight gain and loss do wreak havoc on a woman’s body… ask any mommy out there and you’ll get the same complaints.Unfortunately, although those changes are annoying, they certainly are not life threatening, so the likelihood of getting someone to do that for you for free is literally zero! Surgeons are much more likely to donate their time and talents to charitable institutions that help fight diseases and deformities. The one hope you might have is to contact a university with a plastic surgery residency program.Sometimes they have clinics run by the surgeons in training that offer discounted surgery to get opportunities for their residents to learn or practice those procedures before they go out into their own clinics to operate.You would take the chance of having an inexperienced surgeon do they actual procedure, but usually they are well supervised by their attending surgeons.Your other option is to wait and save your pennies to have your surgery done in the future when you can better afford it.Please do not make the mistake of going to a doctor who is not trained specifically in plastic surgery because they offer it at a lower cost.Someone who took a weekend course in how to do a tummy tuck is not going to be able to offer you the experience and safety of a board certified plastic surgeon.