How to Help my Fat Survive After a BBL?

I had a BBL Surgery 4 days ago, what are things that I should and shouldnt do to make sure that most of my fat survive?

Helping Fat Survive After a Brazilian Butt Lift

After the Brazilian Butt Lift surgery, the patient must not put pressure on the fat grafts for a period of 3 weeks. Ideally, not sit at all on the new fat grafts for 3 weeks to allow a full 'take.'

Why 3 weeks? These are the key things that must happen for a fat graft to be successful:

1. Blood supply must reach the fat graft before it runs out of nutrients.
  2. Blood vessels must get incorporated into the graft successfully.
  3. All the tissues- fat grafts, blood supply, and surrounding tissues must be knit together successfully by the extracellular matrix.

It takes 3-4 days for the blood vessels to grow into the fat grafts. During the new few days, the blood vessels begin to strengthen. The extracellular matrix surrounding the fat graft takes another 2-3 weeks to reach enough strength to withstand minor stresses. This is why 3 weeks is the absolute earliest a patient can begin stressing the tissues.

Plan to spend the 3 weeks mostly resting on your stomach or sides, getting up occasionally to limber up the muscles, but avoiding things that place stress on the healing tissues.

How to Help my Fat Survive After a BBL? #long-lasting #BBL

Thank you for your question!  I have always advocated for staying off your buttock for as long as you possibly can.  This means, do not sit on your butt for at least 3-4 weeks.  This allows the fat to gain its vascularity to survive in its new home, i.e., the buttock.  I always advise to either stand or lay on your stomach for first month and the results can be amazing!!

Other tips include staying well hydrated especially for the first 6 months after a BBL.  Eating a good diet without ingesting any processed foods.  Exercise probably starting around 8 weeks post op to allow the fat to not be displaced or stressed after surgery.

I hope this helps!

How do I Protect my Brazilian Butt Lift?

The Brazilian Butt Lift utilizes your own natural fat for the augmentation. One of the keys of the fat transfer is that it is incorporated and becomes your fat just in a better place!

The key is how do we maximize the amount of fat that is going “take” or survive for the augmentation. One of the things that can help increase the amount of fat that stays after the transfer is preventing any trauma to the buttock area, that includes sitting. The pressure of sitting can be harmful to the fat for the first couple of weeks after the transfer.

The second important part of the Brazilian Butt Lift is the compression garment as you are asking. I do think it is important that you have a specialized garment after your procedure. I have tried various garments, with and without material over the buttock area. From a patient comfort standpoint I have found that the garments with a very soft mesh over the buttock has been best. However this is personal decision between you and your surgeon.

There are special pillows that patients can purchase that avoids any pressure on the buttock in the post-operative period so that they can sit at work and still protect their fat transfer procedure.

I hope this helps, be sure to discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Fat Survival

Depending on how the fat was harvested and prepared, you can typically expect that 20%-30% of the fat will die. That is typical and that is why we overinject fat so that when the fat settles and a percentage dies, you will still have the results you've wanted. I highly suggest that you try to avoid sitting as much as possible for about 2-3 weeks post-operatively. Other than that, there is not much to do besides let the fat settle into that area. 

best of luck

Moises Salama, MD

Fat Volume Survival After Brazilian Butt Lift is Variable

How much your injected fat will survive after a Brazilian Butt Lift will not be influenced by anything you do, short of significant weight loss. How the fat was prepared, concentrated and then injected will determine its fate.  There are likely other influencing factors on fat graft survival, such as the harvest site of the fat and its innate genetics, that we do not have knowledge of today yet. This is an issue that is beyond your control. Fat survival after injection anywhere can not be predicted with any certainty, particularly when the volume injected is large as in buttock enlargement procedures.

How to Help my Fat Survive After a BBL?

Avoid sitting on it for awhile. Seek a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

After a Brazilian butt lift it is important to avoid putting pressure on the buttocks for two weeks.  During those two weeks, the majority of the fat that has been transferred attaches to the blood supply and becomes viable.  Once the fat becomes viable it should remain permanently unless you experience significant weight loss at some point down the road.  Weight fluctuations after any surgery can alter your result and increase the risk of additional procedures.  My recommendation is to follow your surgeon’s post op instructions carefully as they are designed to minimize post operative complications and to assure you get an optimum result.

Be well and good luck!

How To Help Fat Cells Survive?

Thank you for your question! It is very important that you do not sit directly on your buttocks for 2-3 weeks after surgery.  Ideally 4 weeks. Whatever fat is left after 4 weeks is the fat that will stay for years to come.  Also always wear the garmet provided by your doctor and follow all of your post care.  Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel
Double Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon
Hoffman Estates
Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Limit sitting, modify sleeping position--and discuss with surgeon!

It’s important to realize that fat cells are very fragile in the immediate post-operative period. In fact, 20-40% of these fat cells may not survive fat cell grafting. This situation doesn’t improve until these fat cells have re-established blood supply with the surrounding tissue. In most cases this takes about two weeks to occur. At this point, fat cells become less sensitive to the effects of pressure and are less likely to be damaged by sitting or lying on the buttocks.
Several steps can be taken to increase fat cell survival. For instance, we limit sitting or lying on the buttocks to one hour intervals for the first two weeks following surgery. When patients do sit in a chair, they should rest their weight on their posterior thighs away from their buttocks, In addition they should utilize an inflatable pillow whenever possible. When sleeping they should lie on either their side or abdomen to avoid pressure on the buttock.
These routines place obvious limitation on physical activity for post-operative patients. Unfortunately failure to comply with these recommendations can result in cell damage from pressure. This can result in contour irregularities and a less than optimal result.

Fat Survival

You definitely need to wear your compression garment as I'm sure you were directed by your plastic surgeon. The compression garment should be worn religiously for the first 3 weeks. Then, for the following 2 weeks, 12 hours on and 12 off is sufficient.

Best Wishes,
Dr. Michael K. Obeng
Beverly Hills, Ca

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS