Would Getting a Facelift in Your 40's Gaurantee That You Would Need One in Your 50's?

I watched a segment on the news a while ago that was talking about new laser procedures for aging skin. The doctor said to hold off on getting a surgical facelift as long as you can because if you get one in your 40's you will need on in your 50's. They didn't explain why though. I was wondering if anyone knew what they meant? Thanks for your time!

Does A Facelift In Your 40's Mean You Will Need Another One In You 50's?

There are two things I loved about your question.  The first was the doctor discussing lasers as a means to avoid a facelift.  If treating the aging changes in the face were as simple as just treating the outer layer of the skin, then a lasers would be the cure to all our facial aging concerns.  Alas, aging of the face is not just a skin issue but instead involves changes in the deep tissues, the fatty tissues in the face, the support structures of the face, and the bony structures of the face.  Think of your face like the layers of a bed.  You cannot just make the bed by pulling on the outermost layer-the bedspread.  Just as you cannot treat all the issues of facial aging by using a laser on the skin of the face.  Sounds like the doctor had an expensive laser and needed some "nails" to hammer.

Second, long term studies show that having a facelift earlier in your life does not set you up for having to have more procedures in the future  .In fact, those who start earlier often will have better long term results than those who start later. The best way to truly address your concerns is to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your goals.  Hope this helps.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Facelift in your 40's.

The skin that is removed in a facelift can not "jump back on your face in your 50's! We reset your facial aging clock--but we do not stop it. 

Optimal Time for a Facelift

The optimal time for a facelift is when you have signs of aging such as sagging skin, facial atrophy or a combination. Once you have sagging skin and facial atrophy then you need to transition from Botox to fillers. The timing is more important. Facelifts done in your 40’s or early 50’s have better results than being done later in life.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Facelift in the 40s

It is true that the effect of a facelift lasts about 10 years. So getting a facelift in the 40s may mean that you would like a retuck in the 50s. I can guarantee however that if you think that your face is sagging now, it will continue to sag for the next 10 years if you did not have a facelift. Your question is similar to asking if you washed your car now would you feel the need to wash it again in a month. Sure you can wait till next month but you will have to live with a dirty car.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Best age for a facelift

The best time to get a facelift is when you start seeing changes in the mirror that you don't like, such as jowling and excess neck tissue.  If this happens to be in your 40's, that's fine.  Doing a facelift earlier is better for several reasons.  You heal faster, there's less pulling on the skin, you bruise less, generally you are healthier so easier recovery, better skin  elasticity so better result, and usually smaller incisions.  Don't do a facelift in your 40's if you're not bothered by the early signs of aging.

Does having a facelift in your 40s mean you have to have one in your 50s?  If what you see at 40 bothers you now, then when the facelift wears off in about 10 years, it will bother you at 50.  The person you see in the mirror now, you'll see again 10 years after your facelift.  You don't have to have another facelift but chances are, you'll have the experience of knowing you can do something about it and in return look 10 years younger again.  In reality, even if you don't have another facelift, you'll still look 10 years younger than everyone around you even after the facelift wears off (unless your friends are getting facelifts too).

Lastly, lasers only treat the top layer of the skin and even though it's one of 2 items that actually tightens skin every time (facelift is the other), it only tightens millimeters and doesn't address jowling or excess neck tissue.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is the best age for facelift

A facelift performed at any time might eventually require additional surgery to keep it useful in the future. Generally, however, what I see is when the patients come back ten years later after a facelift, they still look better than they did ten years before since no one “needs” a facelift at any age. It will not be required to have a redo later. It simply depends on whether or not you feel you need another one.

Kevin Sadati, DO

No guarantee

A good facelift is designed to give you a younger appearance that looks natural. Therefore, the effects of aging after surgery will appear natural as well, but they will appear since you can't resist the signs of aging. You'll always look younger after your facelift than if you hadn't had a facelift in the first place, and there's no guarantee that you'll need one again in your 50s. It all depends on your lifestyle and genetics. If you lead a healthy lifestyle, protect from sun exposure and don't smoke, you can minimize sagging and wrinkles.

Earlier Facelift or Avoidance

If you have stigmata of facial aging amenable to facelifting techniques, then a facelift should be performed if there is interest.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Facelifts Now, Facelift Later?

I’ve ben performing facelift surgery for about 20 years at my practice in New York and have many patients who have been with me throughout this time. This statement is not clearly accurate. Having a facelift at any time is for a specific reason to improve the sagging of cheeks, jowls and neck skin. Since facial aging is a combination of factors such as genetics, stress and health, you can’t make such an assumption. There is also no laser or ultrasound procedure that prevents the skin from getting older. 40s and 50s covers a range of 20 years. If you have this laser procedure at 42, does that mean you won’t need a facelift at 58? I doubt that.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Facelift

The age at which someone should consider a facelift varies considerably depending on numerous factors.  People age at different rates, and some factors, such as sun exposure or individual anatomy may make one person a good candidate for a facelift in their forties, while others can wait longer. Having a facelift in your forties doesn't necessarily mean it will need to be redone in your fifties. Again, everyone is different. an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon will be able to advise you appropriately.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD