Do Face Exercises to Develop and Create Higher Cheekbones Really Work?

There are several programs like Carole Maggio "Facercise" do they really work? Specially the ones to develop and create higher cheekbones?

Facial exercises for higher cheekbones

As of this writing, our office is unaware of any exercise program that can do this.  If you start on a type of program, please take photos and take copious notes.  You can them judge if there is any benefit.  Typically one needs volume in the area.

Facial exercises, like all muscle exercises, will tone muscles but have limitations.  The Cheeks are aesthetically shaped by the cheek bones, fatty tissue and various facial muscles.  The muscles are only part of the equation and IMHO, if you have flat or concave cheek bones, no amount of facial exercises can or will change that.  The only options are fillers like Perlane and Radiesse or Cheek Implants.  So by all means try the exercises but have realistic expectations.  

Facial Exercise for Higher Cheekbones

Dear morocha10:

With all due respect to the exercise guru’s out there, facial exercises promote:
·         Hypertrophic muscles,
·         Fat loss and
·         Skin lines.
I am an avid promoter of proper lifestyle including exercise and diet but exercising the face make one appear more aged and not less.

In general, muscle mass “grows” or hypertrophies in the mid-muscle body and not at the ends. Therefore these exercises,
·         accentuate an imbalance of the more youthful appearance of high “cheekbones”
·         accentuate the folds and lines of the skin; eg., forehead furrows, crow’s feet, lip lines, etc.
·         highlight the medial bands and pull the jowl down

All of these facial exercises are contrary to the “cherub” like faces of youth or the rejuvenated high cheek / heart-shaped appearance of a well contoured face.

Please visit an artsy, talented and skilled, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who understands the non-surgical, minimally invasive and surgical options to properly rejuvenate the face. 

I hope this helps. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Sadly, no. Bone structure cannot be changed with exercise.

Exercising a muscle cannot change the shape of any bones. Nor can facial exercises tighten skin. If they could, we would not need tummy tucks or facelifts. 
 There are many programs for improving facial aging that are just not effective. If is sounds too good to be true--then it is probably not true. Laxity of skin and soft tissue cannot be changed by either exercise nor diet. 

Diane I. Duncan, MD, FACS
Fort Collins Plastic Surgeon

Higher cheekbones

Not aware of any exercises that can create or mimic higher cheekbones.  There are procedures that can be performed in the office that can lift your cheeks.

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermal Fillers for Higher Cheek Bones

Dear morocha10:

For higher cheek bones or cheek reflation, I would recommend using a dermal filler like Juvederm Voluma which works fantastically in this area.  To date, I have not come across any evidenced based literature which relates higher cheek bones to facial exercise.  Hope this information helps. 

Praven Chetty, MD
Kelowna Physician

Facial exercises really do nothing to create higher cheekbones

Thanks for your question and I think, with all the other comments here, you now know that facial exercises really do nothing to create higher cheekbones. If you have these concerns, you should consult with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to learn what treatment options actually work and would be of benefit for you.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Higher Cheekbones

Facial exercises with not create higher cheekbones.  Sculptra or Voluma are the best ways to increase the volume in the cheeks and midface, giving you a younger looking appearance.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with facial injections to see if you are a good candidate for this procedure.

Michele S. Green, MD

Voluma works best for cheek volume

If you are looking for more volume in the mid-face area I recommend learning more about Voluma. This facial filler will volumize your cheeks instantly giving you a younger appearance. Consult with your doctor in order to determine if this is best for you.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Exercises for a higher cheekbone

In short, the answer is no. The main mass of the cheek is fat, not muscle. If anything, it will cause deflation of the fat and your cheek will diminish in size. You will need filler injections or a cheek lift  or even fat grafts to achieve a larger cheek. Sorry about this bad news.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon