Can Dermal Fillers Create a 'Browlift' Effect??

I'm not intested in Botox...too many terrible experiences with it!!! I would like a slight browlift on my lateral brows to get rid of some of the excess lid skin..browlift surgery recommended for my case. Can fillers simulate a browlift? If so, how does this work..ie., what area is it injected, what filler would be used, ? I don't have a lot of forehead wrinkling (yet), just want to open my eyes a little. Also, if filler is still there when I finally want surgery, will it be in the way?

Browlift Effect Possible with Fillers and Botox-But Find an Expert

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dermal Fillers plus Botox or Dysport to relax the upper Obicularis or Eyelid muscle can create a small Brow Lift Effect.

However please take the time to search for an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience with this technique.

I have had patients show up in my office with visible lumps of filler under their eyebrow after having this done by a novice doctor.

Dermal Fillers for a Browlift

To an extent, dermal fillers can create a lateral browlift effect.  Make up artists often use white eye shadow just below the lateral eyebrow to create the illusion of an elevated brown (for example, in front of a TV camera).  We take advantage of this "trick" using fillers.

- A little bit of filler strategically placed uner the lateral eyebrow itself can pick up the elevate slack just a bit, which can result in an elevation of the lateral eyebrow (1-3 mm).

- When this is combined with a small amount of strategically placed Botox, the combination of the two can be even better

- Furthermore, if a laser is used as in the case of DOT Therapy to "shrink" the skin between the brow and eyelid, this can further enhance the browlift effect.

Deborah Sarnoff, MD

Fillers can simulate a browlift

In some situations, dermal fillers such as Restylane, Juvaderm, or Radiesse can be used to give the appearance of a browlift. This is done by injecting fillers along the brow bone, This will make the brow bone slightly more prominent and will give your borw a "ledge" to rest on. This can give you a few millimeters of lift and in some cases, this is all that you require. make sure your plastic surgeon is familiar with this technique because fillers last a long time in this area and if the results are not good, you may have to live with it for a year.  Also, if you need significant elevation of your brow, only a surgical browlift will be appropriate.

Brow lift, dermal fillers, subsequent surgery

Dermal fillers can be used for peri-orbital rejuvenation and eyebrow lift.

Ideally Botulo-toxin ( to re balance muscle action to allow eyebrow being pulled up) and dermal filler ( will give ancoring effect to the eyebrow and change volume proportions to give appearance of higher eyebrows)used together will give the best result.

If you certain that to choose only dermal fillers then fillers like Radiesse, Laresse or Restylane SubQ are probably the best to be place at the lateral portion of the eyebrow's course to give that ancoring effect and to emphasize that part of the eyebrow. These fillers are more stable and can hold on longer.

Small deposits of finner dermal fillers like Restylane, Juvederm, Teosyal can be carefully placed to the upper orbital rim to increase slightly volume of the supra orbital space.

Subsequent surgery will be not a problem if you used Dermal fillers in the area -as they are not permanent. I would advised to consider endoscopic brow lift or lift with Silhouette threads.

Eyebrow lift with dermal fillers and Botox Cosmetic

You mention in the text of your question that you are not interested in Botox as a way to lift the eyebrows, however, the best effect with a nonsurgical eyebrow lift procedure would be with a combination of fillers and Botox.  I would suggest that you consult with a board-certified cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon with proper training and experience in injectables and eyebrow rejuvenation.  Many horror stories that one hears comes from the fact that injections are performed by poorly trained or even non-medical personnel.

One of the things that happens as we mature is there is volume loss in the soft tissues, fat and bone of the face.  So essentially the scaffolding on which the skin is suspended gets smaller, resulting in sagging. For the lateral brows, it's the loss of that small "Faberge egg," the oval-shaped amount of soft tissue and bone that sits under the lateral tail of the eyebrow that makes the brow descend.

Dermal fillers like Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm, Radiesse and Sculptra can be injected to recreate that "Faberge egg" and give lift to the lateral brow.

Botox Cosmetic can work in conjunction with the filler to add lift to the entire brow.  Injecting Botox into the muscles that pull the eyebrow down (procerus, corrugators and orbicularis oculi) will allow the frontalis, large forehead muscle to pull the brows up.

Both of these will help achieve the non-surgical eyebrow lift.  For severe sagging (which doesn't sound like what you are describing) a surgical brow lift would be needed.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers do not lift-a warning not to give into the hype

There is a great marketing ploy in the U.S. right now for the "non-surgical face lift" or "liquid face lift." There is no such thing. It is misleading and is promoted by non-surgeons who are not trained in performing the necessary procedures. They will take your money and make you look deformed.

Some of the marketing will say, "why pay $10,000 for a face lift when you can pay $2000 for the "liquid face lift." It should say "why do what is necessary to improve your appearance when you can pay someone with no experience to make you look like a freak." 

In order to lift the face, you must have surgery. To mask the signs of aging or add volume, fillers or fat can be added to the procedure or keep you looking younger until a face lift is necessary. Do yourself a favor and go to someone who performs both procedures such as a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON. The hard part is making sure anyone you go to for any cosmetic procedure is honest. I have found many of these honest surgeons on this website.

I'm sure you've seen the freaky-looking people who have huge cheeks (almost looking like a shelf under their eyes). These people have fallen for the hype. Don't become one of them.

Fillers like Perlane can be placed along the superior orbital rim to increase the volume in that area.  the increased volume tends to lift the eyebrows slightly.

Brow lift with dermal filler

HI there thank you for your query. 

Hyaluronic acid based dermal filler can certainly be used to create brow lift. 

There are two important considerations here: 

1. Temporal filler can improve and support the lateral aspect / outer part of the eye brow in those with with temporal hollowness. 

2. If the above is not an issue, filler can be place beneath the muscle that surrounds the eye at a point above the eyebrow that can create a physical eye brow raise. 

I do hope this helps! Please do ensure you see an advanced aesthetic practitioner when considering and treatments. 

Dr Rupert

Dermal Fillers Can Absolutely Lift the Lateral Brow

Dermal Fillers (and fat transfer) correctly used could give a subtle brow lift. This is an advanced technique so make sure to ask your doctor if they've done it before. It can also be used when a patient had an over zealous doctor who dropped their brow with Botox to lift their brow. This technique is also great for temporal wasting when the hallowness is filled with dermal fillers (or fat) it can lift the brow.

Sheila Barbarino, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Non-Surgical brow lift options

If you are not keen for Btx, then you could look at supporting the brow with dermal fillers such as Restylane Lyft (Perlane). These will last 6-9 months. But to reduce excess eyelid skin without surgery you could look at fractional co2 laser resurfacing which works wonders and tightening eyelid skin! But be prepared for a few days of redness and swelling with the laser. But worth it!