I need to lose 80 lbs with a BMI of 39, is the Gastric Balloon a good option? I ask this, as I am not wanting to do the sleeve?

I am a 59yr old woman wanting to jump start my weight loss, I lost 130lbs kept it off for 12 years with just dieting.I want to jump start the process again, but do not want to have a major surgical procedure, I am interested in the gastric balloon for my jump start. I have seen some guidelines in my research that says this is a weight loss device for those not needing to lose a significant amount of weight, but for me I am looking to do the least invasive procedure to get me to my goal.Thanks .

BMI of 39 and Balloon

A BMI of 39 has several treatment choices.  You're in the range for the Orbera Intragstric Balloon, Lap-Band, or Sleeve Gastrectomy.  Few patient lose 80 pounds with Orbera, so if that is your goal you should take a closer look at band and sleeve.

New Orleans Bariatric Surgeon

BMI of 39 and balloon to lose 80 pounds

I think the key component of your question is to jump start your weight loss. You have proven yourself that you can lose weight and keep it off. With the balloon, expect to lose 30-40 pounds, but you can also add specific diet to it that will allow you to lose more. The balloon will help you get started, motivate you as you start losing the weight, and help you change your mind to one that will push you to lose the weight and keep it off. Best wishes

Isaac Raijman, MD
Houston Physician

Balloon for 80lbs weight loss

Losing 80 lbs with the balloon is possible if you put significant effort. If you do the minimal work those 8K dollars wont give you 80 lbs of weight loss.
A sleeve or a bypass is your best bet but you still need to exercise and follow a diet. Surgery or the balloon are only tools to help you achieve your goals... You still need to do the work.\
I will not recommend a Lap band.

Angel Caban, MD
Ocala General Surgeon

Gastric Balloon instead of Sleeve Gastrectomy

The indication for gastric balloon by the FDA s for patients with a BMI between 30 and 40, so you are a candidate for the gastric balloon.  There are two balloons on the market in the USA that are FDA approved.  There is Reshape which is a double balloon and Orbera which is a single balloon.  The Reshape holds more volume distributed among two balloons so the total is 900cc versus the Orbera that only holds 600-650 cc of fluid.  I would recommend you try the Reshape balloon if interested in pursuing the procedure.

Intragastric balloon to jump start your diet

The balloon is indicated for people with a BMI between 30-40.  Because you were disciplined enough to lose over 100 lbs in the past and keep it off for a number of years, the balloon should help you jump start your diet, to drop weight fast, and along with the year long nutritional followup, keep it off.  Good luck!!

Daniel J. Rosen, MD
New York Bariatric Surgeon