Droopy lashes/eyelid ptosis. (photos)

9 years ago I had a browlift that corrected the 'heavy look' problem (it has descended considerably since), but I realized that my main problem is the 'sad look' generated by what appear to be two factors (photos): the droop of the eyelashes laterally, and the fact that my eyes never really seem fully open. What can be done to correct this? I've read on canthopexy, canthoplasty, etc., but I'd like to know all my options, what can be achieved, what they entail, etc. Thank you!

Doctor Answers 2

Please do not let anyone "fracture" your tarsus. That will destroy your eyelid in my opinion.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
 Lateral canthal surgery will not help you.  What you have is mild upper eyelid ptosis and upper eyelid lash ptosis.  The heavy upper eyelid and droopy lashes shade the top of the cornea.  It makes the eyes look dull and lifeless.  I perform what I call structured microblepharoplasty to correct this situation.  It includes ptosis surgery to correct the upper eyelid ptosis and an anchor blepharoplasty which snugs the upper eyelid skin and muscle to the edge of the levator aponeurosis.  This supports the upper eyelid lashes to make them perky.  Typically patients who travel to Beverly Hills to have this surgery stay in the area for 10 days while they recuperate. The surgery is performed under light intravenous sedation.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Eyelash ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for sharing your case and photos.  I would recommend a consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon to discuss your goals and how best to achieve them.  There are procedures that can be done to rotate the eyelashes and help them to point away from the eye - either by tarsal fracture or crease formation/reinforcemen.   Good luck!

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.