What is the best non surgical treatment alternative to a Facelift? Would it be radio frequency? If so which one is best? (photo)

I had ultherapy about 2 years ago but not great results for the money. I am 40 years old and have some sagging of the face and under the chin and just look tired all of a sudden. Also hollows/wrinkles have appeared under my eyes. I'd prefer to try a non surgical option before my last resort of a facelift as still so young. Not sure what treatment is best to try, if it's radiofrequency and if so what machine is the best?

Non-surgical facelift options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The thing about a non-surgical facelift is that it really requires a combination of treatments. Typically, these will include dermal fillers to strategically add volume where it has been lost (mid-face/cheeks, around the mouth/jowls). This also provides a slight lift to the skin. Botox will freeze the active wrinkles around the eyes and between the eyebrows. Lasers tackles skin tone and texture (brown spots, redness, crepey texture) while a procedure such as Profound RF will help to tighten the skin. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to be examined in person and discuss your best options. 

Non Surgical Facelift Alternative

A face and neck lift would give you the greatest level of correction for neck and jowl aging. You may be to young for a facelift at this stage but  If you are willing to accept less correction then consider radiofrequency skin tightening procedures such as RFAL and Fractora by Inmode.   They involve both non surgical and minimally invasive treatments to tighten skin about 40 -50% of what a facelift would achieve.

Non-Surgical Skin Tightening

Thank you for sharing your photo and question. Non-Surgical EXILIS Skin Tightening is a great alternative treatment to stimulate and strengthen collagen to reduce wrinkles and laxity. No down time is needed with minimal discomfort. For best results, Fillers and BOTOX/Dysport can be used in conjunction with the EXILIS treatments. 

Gergana Gallacher, MD
Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

Non-Surgical Skin Rejuvenation

Hi there, 

Sorry to hear about your experience with Ultherapy. In my opinion, Ultherapy is one of the best non-surgical ultrasound skin tightening solutions available is Ultherapy. This alternative to surgery helps improve skin laxity and correct poor skin quality. Treatments can be subject to the operator and the results can be reflective of the techniques used during treatments.

Ultherapy can last anywhere from a year to up to 3 years. Ulthera technology works by delivering ultrasonic energy to the deepest dermal layer of the skin, stimulating collagen. The new collagen growth will occur in the 3 months following treatment. I believe you are due for another maintenance Ultherapy treatment. If you do not wish to do Ultherapy again, then I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon who is experienced in addressing non-surgical concerns related to the head, face, and neck. 

When you are exploring the options of a facial procedure, make sure that you also explore the right type of cosmetic physician to perform your procedure. 

Volume & Tightening | Best Look!

Thank you for the question, and thank you for posting your photo. First of all, you look great! To turn back the clock a bit, you may find better results by volumizing the cheek area (Apple and zygomatic) to provide a natural youthful look with dermal fillers. Thr Ulthera is operator dependent, and results will vary from experience to experience. I tailor my treatment plan for each individual to get the kind of results each patient is excited about. But I wonder if all along it was some volume that was needed in the mid face that left you dissatisfied with the Ulthera? Best luck, Dr. P.

Antiaging treatment at 40

In general I try to vary my treatments based upon where people are aging. In your case I would recommend volumization to the cheeks and around the eyes with fat or filler followed by a CO2 laser to tighten the skin. The downside to this treatment is that you are red and swollen for 2 weeks after with the redness lasting for up to 1 month afterwards. Even though there are no stitches in your skin, the recovery is significant but so too are the possible benefits.

Aric K. Park, MD

Best non-surgical alternative to facelift

There are several non-surgical alternatives to a facelift, but it is difficult to say which one is the best.  Some procedures may work better in some than others and the physician performing the treatment can also influence the results.  Aside from Ultherapy, which you stated you already had, I would look into radio frequency treatments as an option.  There are many different devices but the one I am most familiar with is called Fractora.  It is possible you could get some improvement with any of these radio frequency devices.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

FAMI using SVF from fat to reshape the face, good alternative to face lifting

Around 40 women have some features changing in their face. The culprit is the receding of BONE surfaces and edges starting the ageing chain reaction.This is responsible  of baggy eyelid and tear trough, lost of malar eminence with naso-labial folds and chin deformity.

The face lifting lift the skin of older structures as bone and muscles of facial expression. (FAMI)  will rejuvenate the old structure for life time! It is not a joke!

The adipose Stromal Vascular Fraction (SVF) will give back its support to the skin and will do and Endo-lift by restructuring  the facial scaffold, bones, muscles and deep fat pads.

Roger Amar, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Soft Lift

Dear smithskin:

Looking at your photos, I would recommend starting off with a Soft Lift procedure which incorporates use of both Botox for line softening and fillers for volume restoration in the appropriate places.  Please see an expert injector.  Remember less is more.  Best wishes.

ThermiTight and Suture Lifting are in between non invasive facial tightening and a surgical facelift

We still don't have a magical non invasive procedure that can lift as much as surgery. Some patients with heavier thicker and more sagging skin won't respond as well to Ultherapy and minimally invasive non cutting procedures such as injectable radiofrequency energy done with ThermiTight and possibly using a new suture lifting technique from InstaLift, may provide some patients with better results than ulthera but there can be downtime with swelling and bruising that could last as much as a week and a half or more. The results as good as they may be for some patients still don't match a surgical face lift for the face but some necks do get as good a result, especially if their double chin is only a consequence of excess fat .

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon