Does septoplasty affect dorsal hump?

After a consultation I have been told that I would benefit from septoplasty and turbinectomy however my dorsal hump was not adressed sadly as he made it clear this was not cosmetic and simply to improve my airway. Because of my deviated septum my nose leans to the side creating a dorsal hump would septoplasty reduce this? If not would I need to go private for dorsal hump removal and how much would this cost roughly in the UK?

Septoplasty and Dorsal hump

The septoplasty surgery is unlikely to affect your hump. A rhinoplasty procedure would normally need to be performed to address the hump, and this probably would need to be paid on a private basis. 

We would typically charge starting at $2800 + MD Anesthesia related expenses for the procedure. However, our costs in South Florida tend to be less than in the UK.

Septoplasty and dorsal hump

Thanks for your question. Generally speaking a septoplasty and turbinoplasty are only performed to improve nasal breathing, it is unlikely that it would have an effect on your hump. While a large part of your hump may be cartilaginous and may even be the topmost portion of your septum it is not really advisable to address this are via a typical septoplasty incision. Usually this would require an addition incision inside the nose to give access to this area. Most importantly this is considered a cosmetic procedure and is not covered by insurance because it rarely has any significant impact on breathing. Hope this helps. 

Julian W. Dixon, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty and nasal dorsum

Some maneuvers performed to correct septal deviation and improve nasal airflow alter the appearance of the nasal dorsum.  This being said, a dorsal hump correction is typically a cosmetic procedure.  Reconstructive surgery should parallel aesthetic surgery - and a better looking, better breathing nose is always the goal!

Joshua Lampert, MD,FACS

Rhinoplasty for dorsal hump removal ,septoplasty for breathing improvement

A septoplasty and turbinate surgery are performed in the back of the nose to improve air flow through the nose, once medical necessity has been documented. Removal of a  cartilaginous and  bony dorsal hump requires a rhinoplasty to change the shape of the nose. This is considered cosmetic, and must be paid for by the patient. The cost of a rhinoplasty is directly related to the amount of time it takes to perform the procedure under anesthesia, amount of time in the operating room, and the surgeon's professional fee for performing a cosmetic rhinoplasty. Both a rhinoplasty and a septoplasty can be performed the same time under one anesthetic with one recovery period. For more information about the differences between a rhinoplasty and septoplasty and many examples, please see the  video below describing the differences