I'm considering Coolsculpting on my stomach.

I have Raynauds (two finger tips). Can you please tell me what the dangers would be for me to have this procedure. Many thanks.

#CoolSculpting with #Raynauds

Raynaud's is no longer a contraindication for the CoolSculpting procedure. Individuals with this condition constrict their blood vessels when exposed to cold. This might make the procedure more painful in a patient with a history of severe Raynaud's, but we have treated many patients with Raynaud's without any significant side effects.

Coolsculpting and Raynaud's

Coolsculpting is a fabulous procedure for reducing the bulge non-surgically in the abdomen, flanks, and thighs.  However, if you have a history of Raynaud's I would consult your internist if your underlying condition would preclude you from this procedure.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with Coolsculpting.

Consider Radiofrequency or UltraShape Because of Raynaud's

CoolSculpting is a great treatment for most anyone with the adage: if you can grab it, we can treat it. However, there are some conditions that one might have that preclude its use — and one of them is Raynaud's Phenomenon or Disease. You already have a vascular compromise in your vessels and this procedure does similar things so we don't want to mix and match. A board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon will be able to come up with an alternative treatment plan, perhaps one of the skin-tightening RF devices or UltraShape, which in this case is best to consider.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting is contra-indicated with Raynauds

Dear spearman:

Raynaud's syndrome is typically described when the finger tips become blanched due to cold or stress exposure. This is due to an over active spasm of the blood vessels causing vaso-constriction and when mixed with prolonged cold may lead to ulceration and gangrene. 

The CoolSculpting applicator is created to vacuum a bulge of skin  to concentrate the cooling effects on the fat. If the skin were to unnaturally vaso-constrict, it will lose the protective advantage that it has over fat and freeze. Frozen skin is called frostbite.

Raynaud's syndrome and other vaso-constrictive auto-immune or collagen vascular diseases such as lupus are contra-indications to the use of this cooling device. 

You may consider:
  1. lifestyle changes including diet and exercise, and 
  2. surgical liposuction. 
Please consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to evaluate your desires and review your options. 

All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Raynaud's and Coolsculpting

Raynaud's is a contraindication to Coolsculpting but there are other options (surgical and non-surgical) that may be appropriate. Consult in person for the best advice. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting with Raynaud's

As it stands now, Raynauds is a contraindication for having a Zeltiq CoolSculpting treatment. Therefore, if you have Raynauds, I would advise against having this procedure done at this time. It is unlikely that you would tolerate the treatment.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS