Can I have Coolsculpting treatments during the same time period as Zerona?

I have 9 Zerona treatments scheduled (purchased really cheap through Groupon). My cosmetic surgeon is offering a special on Coolsculpting, but the timeframe it has to be used conflicts with my Zerona treatments. Would having the 2 treatments during the same time period conflict with or enhance results?

It doesn't really matter about the Zerona as it is a worthless treatment

Sadly, you have fallen prey to a Groupon special that seemed 'cheap' but basically was a waste of your money.  Zerona doesn't work.  Period.

On the other hand, CoolSculpting CAN work in certain circumstances.  In my practice about 10-20 percent of CoolSculpting consultations lead to a procedure due to the fact that it is very limited in its range of individuals it treats.  Tumescent liposuction, on the other hand, is about a 50% match.  About 50% of individuals aren't a candidate for either process, so it is impossible to say without seeing you.

Again, this is an area where there are many charlatans who willingly take money (as in the Groupon deal where they have NO CLUE as to whether or not you are a candidate, but just take the money) and have no intention of helping you.  Your best option is to forget deals and go to a cosmetic surgeon (dermatologist, plastic surgeon) who will actually treat you fairly and competently.  Good luck!

Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

Zerona vs. Cool Sculpt

In my opinion I wouldn't make decisions about your cosmetic goals based on specials. Go to a reputable practice and seek a short and long term goal that is right for you. If they want to keep you as a patient they should extend the special to you when you see how the first treatments work. 

Coolsculpting in combination with Zerona

There is no conflict for the two procedures. However, the value that zerona provides is negligible. Coolsculpting will provide the elimination of the fat cells with or without the help of Zerona.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

You could have coolsculpt at that same time frame as zerona.

The answer to your question is yes. There is no reason these two technologies could not be used at the same time period.

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and Zerona

You could technically do this but there is no point. Zerona really does not work. Coolsculpting is a good solution for fat reduction without surgery.  I would recommend not wasting your time or energy on Zerona.

Burton M. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and Zerona at the same time

Hi vbgirl78:

Interesting question! 

CoolSculpting is tried and true. It works but it is limited in the amount of fat it can reduce. Up to 20% of the fat cells within the applicator are "switched" off by the freezing technique and die.

Zerona has been by-in-large a failure. If it works as advertised, the fat cells leak their oil (fat) which is transported away and eliminated.The fat cells remain alive to fill again another day.

In both cases, you WILL have to change your lifestyle in order to maintain the weight loss. I don't anticipate a conflict if both are done at the same time but consider that if the fat cells leak their oil which is transported away, CoolSculpting cannot freeze that cell to be injured by the process. Those cells which have leaked, remain alive and therefore available to "refill" once again. You will not reduce fat in that area. This is hypothetical and not studied.

Any safe procedure which provides you the motivation and compliance to change your lifestyle and reach your goals has been worth it. Only you can place value on that service.

Please consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to review all your options.

All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting can be done at the same time as Zerona

Zerona, in my experience, has never worked...so it would be of no harm likely or benefit.  See if you can get your $$$ back prior to treatment.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and zerona

There is no contraindication to performing both Coolsculpting and Zerona in the same time period. They work differently and you never know - results may be additive. 

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Zerona and Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting leads to amazing results. Beware of groupons and less than favorable outcomes. I much prefer coolsculpting for lasting results. For the best cosmetic results please consult a dermatologist who is experienced with Coolsculpting. 

Can CoolSculpting and Zerona treatments be done in the same time period?

That's a good question about whether Zerona and CoolSculpting treatments can be done over the same time period.  I am not aware of any studies that have investigated results of both treatments being done in the same time span.  It is difficult to give you the best advice without examining you, but in general, I would recommend either do one or the other.  Between the two of them, I believe you can get more consistent results with CoolSculpting than Zerona. 

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon