Are my breast implants too low? (Photo)

Hiya, I had a breast augmentation about a year and a half ago. I'm worrying that they sit lower than they should but I went back to the surgeon and he said that that is how they should sit on my body but I always feel they are just too low. I had 310cc as he said that's the biggest I could go but I wish I had gone bigger. Would really like a second opinion! Thank you :)

Judging low breasts at 18 months post-op is really in the eye of the beholder

The two sides of this issue are the one that says that there is a "perfect" location at which breast implants SHOULD sit on a woman's chest, and the other which says that "to each his own."  Along the lines of the first, I can tell you that a recently published article in the plastic surgery journal looked at just this issue.  While this is admittedly a subjective thing, the authors of the study asked all people from all over the world to "rate" the appearance of breasts with breast implants, and they found that the "ideal" location for breast implants was with the nipple just slightly above the midpoint of the height of the implant on the chest wall.  In other words, the majority of those people who were asked seemed to think that the lower pole of the breast should be just slightly fuller than the upper pole, and the nipple should be just slightly above the midlevel line of the breast mound.  The second school of thought pretty much says "to hell with all of that, I like what I like."  I have had a number of patients request results which to them were beautiful and made them happy, while I, or someone else, may not have agreed with their aesthetic judgment.  To me, a happy patient pretty much means a good result so long as there aren't any medical dangers or problems that are unnoticed.  At 18 months after your surgery, your results are pretty much what they will be long term; I would not expect any further changes at this point.  If there is something that you would like changed, that is a valid concern, and if it can be accomplished with reasonable certainty, I think any surgeon should listen to you.  If you don't feel as though your previous surgeon is sensitive to your needs with respect to either implant position or size, it is fair to visit with another surgeon and get another opinion.  Sometimes the things we want aren't possible, but if they are, I think it is reasonable to pursue them.  Good luck.

Breast Implant Surgery

Yes, you implants appear to be slightly low but I do not know where your inframammary folds were to begin with.

If you want larger implants, then the IMF could be adjusted at the time of surgery.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Breast implant position

They appear a bit low based upon your photos but it also depends upon where you started. Best to be seen in person. Good luck!

Breast Implants too low?

I agree with a previous answer regarding different people's opinions on what looks good and what does not.  From your pictures, it looks to me like your implants are sitting in a reasonable position with respect to the chest wall, and other landmarks such as your upper arm.  However, in relation to the nipples, they do look low to me.  That could be the implants actually sitting too low, or that you have had significant stretch of the tissues from the nipple to the inframammary fold (where the breast and the chest wall meet).  There are various options that can be considered to try and improve this to get closer to your desired result.  Discuss this with your plastic surgeon, and it can sometimes be helpful to get a second opinion if you don't feel like your concerns are being addressed.  Best of luck, and take care.  
Dr. Howell

Are my breast implants too low.

The breast implant should sit so that the point of projection is at the level of the nipple. If the implant is too low, the projection will be below the nipple and cause it to look upward rather than forward. Your implants might be too low. A second opinion, and perhaps a larger implant might help you.

Are implants too low

Great question and thank you for the pics.  Everyone has their own idea and opinion what the aesthetic look of the breast should be.  If you are happy with the shape and size of your breast then you have nothing to worry about but if you have any concerns then I would recommend following up with your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns.  Best of luck. 

Are my breast implants too low?

I agree that your breast implants sit low on your chest wall.  Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon to discuss breast pocket revision.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Are my breast implants too low?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I do think that your breast implants sit too low on your chest wall; subsequently, the nipple/areola complexes sit too high on each breast mound.

Generally speaking, one of the most common complications after breast augmentation surgery is implant mal-position. This occurs when the implant is in an incorrect position on the chest wall. This may include incorrect position of the implant superiorly (“riding high”), inferiorly (“bottoming out”), medially (“symmastia or uni-boob”) or laterally (falling outward into the axilla).

Bottoming out involves inferior migration of the implants.   Again, this causes the nipple areola complex to appear too high on the breasts. Also, the distance from the areola to the inframammary fold is too great. This is corrected by “raising” the inframammary folds using internal sutures (capsulorraphy).   The procedure serves to raise the position of the breast implants on the chest wall and better center the nipple/areola complex on each breast mound.

I would suggest in person consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons well-versed with revisionary breast surgery.  I hope this, and the attached link ( dedicated to revisionary breast surgery) helps.

Are my breast implants too low?

Very dark posed photos... But appears as acceptable to me. Yes you can have larger implants placed...