Is 260cc big enough? (photos)

Hi I am having a subpectoral BA in 3 weeks time. I am 5ft 3" and weigh 119lbs. I lift weights regularly and have lost a lot of breast tissue. I want a nice full 'neat' looking breast but nothing too big as I like the athletic look. Will 260cc be ok as it seems implants never look as big once they're in place. I have also attached a photo of my ideal breasts for comparison. Thanks.

Is 260 big enough

I'm not sure if the 260 cc implant will be large enough for you due to the tissue laxity of your breast in the photo.  You might consider closer to 300 or 325 cc.  Also the moderate versus high profile of the implant is important too.  I'd recommend a high profile implant for you to give you some projection or a moderate high profile.  Of course and in person exam would be needed to make the best recommendation but I've seen patients unhappy with implant size if they aren't large enough to see a noticeable difference in size.  Best wishes.

Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

Implant Selection

Thank you for your question.  I do not think that your desired photos can be achieved with implants alone.  Your breast have too much laxity and will require a lift to achieve your desired shape and symmetry.   I do think the 260 range will give a very nice result, however, I would recommend detailed measurements and careful sizing with your plastic surgeon prior to any final decisions.   I wish you a safe and happy result.  All the best.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Is 260cc big enough?

You have a small frame, so 260cc implants would more than likely give you the volume you are looking for. However, you do need a lift. Please know that breast implants cannot and will not lift breasts. Subpectoral implants without a lift will create a double bubble appearance. A dual plane approach will eventually make the implant 'blow out' to the sides with weightlifting. An implant above the muscle and without a lift will make your breasts too low and the implant will not have any support. Please visit the breast implant revision forum on this site to get more information. Please do not be afraid of a lift. Breast lifts no longer require the vertical incision that is so unsightly and prone to dehiscence.
I hope this information helps you make the best choice for you.
Kind regards,
Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Hi SXP,
I think you are on the right track, because your words of what you want seem to match your below average implant size.  See the excellent answer below by Dr. Andrade.  Size choice is perhaps the hardest decision to make because this is perhaps the hardest decision for a patient to make, as well as the surgeon. Cup size estimates can be misleading, but I generally advise patients that they will experience an increase of approximately one cup size per 200 cc. You can try on implants in the office by placing them into a special bra.Approximately 50 cc (1-2 oz.) is added to the final volume to account for flattening of the implant in the partial sub-muscular pocket. Once you decide on a size you like, then add on about 25-50 cc, because in real life the implant will be flattened slightly by your tissues.Multiple measurements need to be taken to fit an implant to your exact anatomy. Have your surgeon's office show you the charts of the implant dimensions for the various profiles of silicone and saline from the manufacturer. Then you and your surgeon can piece together the puzzle by matching your measurements, with your wishes, versus your tissue cover and the available implants to arrive at a surgical plan.Keep in mind larger implants tend to have more problems over the years.Since silicone implants wrinkle less than saline implants, they might be your best bet.

You have some relaxation of your tissue, so be sure to talk to your PS about this.

You can also approximate this at home by measuring out an equivalent amount of rice placed into a cutoff foot of old panty-hose, and put this in your bra.Wear this around the house for a while, and see what you think.Implant size must square with assessments of tissue cover, breast diameter, and chest wall width. Multiple measurements of your chest wall are taken (seven in total). Implant size selection has been an issue of much discussion.
Therefore, I use a wide variety of methods, but the implant size is always established preoperatively.Also, patients are advised to bring reference photos demonstrating their ideal size and shape. A photo album of patient pictures is maintained to assist them. These photos ultimately help in determining where the implants will be placed, since they can be shifted inside (to provide more cleavage), to the outside, up or superiorly, and down or inferiorly during surgery. In determining the final size selection, I always place the highest priority on the preoperative measurements and potential tissue cover. Then, the patient’s verbal requests are factored into the analysis.Our average size over the last 7,000 implants was 350.

We use the quick recovery approach, so click on the web reference link below to have this explained.

Be sure to see only a board certified plastic surgeon (by ABPS - The American Board of Plastic Surgery) who is a member of ASAPS (The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and or a member of ASPS (The American Society of Plastic Surgeons). Also, ask if they have an established, high volume breast augmentation practice, performing several hundred breast augmentations each year. Be sure the PS has been in practice for a while, 20-years or more might be a good gauge.Does the PS offer all three incisions?Discuss the implant type (gel or saline), shaped "gummy bear" or non-shaped, smooth or textured, implant pocket (over or under the muscle) and the "quick recovery approach."Ask to see their before and after photos if you didn’t see any on their website. If they are experienced, they should have several 100 breast implant patients for you to view. I would also recommend that your doctor offer you the chance to talk to past patients who would be happy to discuss their experience with you. You need to feel comfortable, so make sure the environment is safe as in an accredited surgery center. Also, ask a prospective surgeon if he or she has ever published journal articles in professional peer-reviewed journals, which they can provide you.
All the best, “Dr. Joe”

Is 260cc big enough?

I don't think 260cc implants are large enough. I also think you may need a breast lift if you want the nipple position to be centered over the implant like the wish picture. I would recommend another consultation with your plastic surgeon. Good luck!

260cc implants

Hello, when looking at before and after photos it is important to look at the before photo to see if the person's breasts look the same as yours.  If their nipple position, breast shape, skin tone etc are all different, it might not be possible to achieve the same result.  

Submammary pocket

You will not get that full round shape with a 260cc implant-It is barely more than a cup size. I would recommend at least 325 cc mod profile directly under the breast not muscle. The width of that ideal breast is close to 13 cm across and looks to be a full C. The middle profile will give you lift and fullness.The sub muscular pocket will not provide the lift using a 260cc implant.Try sizers if they are available,but I feel you would benefit from a slightly wider implant. Good Luck!

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift is needed

Hi.. thank you for the question and photos.. Evaluating your case, I suggest you to speak with your future PS, because breast Ptosis is not corrected with breast implants only.... it need Lift, to avoid skin sagging.  

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Is 260 enough?

Always a difficult question without a physical exam and discussion of your goals. I recommend not being to caught up with the exact number of CC's; this is only 1 aspect of selecting an implant. If this is the recommendation of your surgeon based on your measurements and discussion of size goals, I would trust him/her. 

I hope this helps - good luck!

Do you also need a breast lift?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. Keep in mind, that breast augmentation surgery does not provide a true "lift"; make sure that your goals will be realistically achieved with the planned procedure. Best to discuss your goals, expectations, concerns, and questions directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the day of surgery.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.