Abdominal liposuction with a calcified splenic aneurysim

I am scheduled for a 4 hour liposuction and my surgeon ordered a ct scan to rule out hernia.I met with him and he said all was great and scheduled the surgery. I asked to receive a copy of the scan and learned i have a small splenetic calcified aneurysm. He never told me abut this. Should i go through with the liposuction or could this possibly rupture?

Liposuction with splenic aneurysm

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Your surgeon should have discussed this with you but he probably considered it insignificant.
  • If it were me, I would want to consult a vascular surgeon before liposuction to be sure no treatment or follow-up is needed for the aneurysm.
  • That said, you will probably have no problem with your liposuction.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction and SA aneurysm

Hello and thank you for your question. You should be fine for your procedure. Depending on the size and if you have any symptoms from the SA aneurysm, you should seek treatment for this. Splenic artery aneurysms occur in 1% of the population and are more common in women, and if they are small are usually followed/observed by repeat imaging every 6-12months. Larger, symptomatic ones should be treated. Best check with your primary medical doctor for their specific recommendations. Best of luck.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD
Board Certified General Surgeon

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Liposuction Candidate?

I suggest consulting with your primary care physician prior to liposuction. If the splenic aneurysm needs any treatment it would be best to treat this issue before undergoing any cosmetic procedure. Best, Dr. Emer

Liposuction

It is best to discuss the matter with the surgeon you have chosen and see his input on the matter as after all he is performing the procedure on you.  

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD