Does Fraxel laser fix a pitted scar?

I have a very small (not deep at all) dent on my forehead, you can only notice it in certain lighting, I've never been injured in the area of the dent so I think my skull just developed that way. It's about a 3mm vertical lined dent. What are my options to get it fixed? Thank you

Pitted scar and fraxel laser

It is hard to give you definite opinion how to treat your scar without a picture. Fraxel laser is used to treat acne scars that are caused by pigmentation. With indent scars, we use TCA CROSS, fat grafting and different fillers. Good luck

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited. You should stay out of the sun 2-4 weeks.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Does Fraxel laser fix a pitted scar?

Thanks for your query. The best way to fill an indented scars is by filling it with a HA filler. Fraxel helps to lighten scars but it has little role in filling the indented scar. Apart from ha filler you can o in for fat grafting, or exilis. Fraxel will have a little role in it. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Filler vs TCA CROSS for scar

Really do need to see the scar to give advice. You have treatment options including subcision if the scar is bound down, TCA CROSS if deep, or a dermal filler. Dr Davin Lim

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

The best way to fix a pitted scar is to punch it out and stitch the hole closed.

If you have lots of pitted scars and have extremely oily skin, I recommend going on Accutane (isotretinoin) for two weeks, punching out all of the pitter scars and suture the the punch excision and continuing on the Accutane for two more weeks to prevent oily from poring into the sutured excision.  This has been the very best treatment in my hands to cure pitted scars. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Forehead "dent" correction

I think the quickest and most effective treatment for this problem would be filler. The choice of filler would be up to you and could be HA or Bellafill. Discuss with your doctor and come to a decision about the filler.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Scar revision

For pitted scar I would advise a combination of microneedle radio frequency such as Intensif from Endymed together with Bellafill, a permanent filler that will integrate naturally with your skin. I would avoid Fraxel as it can have side effects and may not be suitable for a localized issue such as a pitted scar.

Neil Sadick, MD

Forehead Dent Filler

An indentation on the forehead should be evaluated by a dermatologist prior to any cosmetic treatments. Fillers work great in this area and can be combined with lasers. See an expert for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer