Microneedling 4 Days Before Fraxel, Safe or Too Much?

33yo F. I'm intending to do a form of Fraxel for pitted acne scarring, & I've already done 2 deep microneedling treatments within the past few months. I'm supposed to do my 3rd treatment, but I'm considering doing Fraxel about 4 days after. Is this a bad idea? Should I forgo the microneedling for the Fraxel? A part of me thinks it may aid the Fraxel, a head-start so to speak; and the rational part thinks I'm only making my skin become sensitive to the laser. Also, my skin heals rather quick.

Microneedling 4 Days Before Fraxel

I would suggest you not to do it. It will take at least 2 weeks for your skin to truly heal after microneedling and if you undergo laser treatment before it heals, you will be making significant damage to your skin, creating more difficult condition for healing. Good luck! 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Thanks for your query. You should give sometime for your skin to heal. it takes a minimum of 15 days for the skin to show a little improvement , if you do another procedure that can then it can cause further injury to the skin making way for more side effects like Pih being the most common. The ideal time gap between the two sittings should be 4-6 weeks depending upon the intensity at which is done and the indication for which it is used. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Consultation Suggested

This is a difficult question to answer without seeing the patient.  We would suggest waiting on  the microneedling procedure to see how you do with the Fraxel procedure.

Roy G. Geronemus, MD