1 week post op Breast Lift. Could my surgical bra be the cause of open wound? (Photos)

I put some paper tape for protection but I notice some drainage and removed it. Now I have an open wound and its burning I do have a Dr appt in 2 day Im afraid this could get infected I dont want to pit the bra back on

Drainage post breast lift

It is not uncommon to have some drainage from your incision sites after your breast lift as most surgeons do not use skin glue to "seal" the wounds shut, they simply use steri-strips or some other form of dressing over the incisions. The area in the middle of your breast that makes the "T" is a very typical place to have some drainage from and/or even some minor skin breakdown, which typically healed uneventfully. You should contact your surgeons office and they/he/she will direct you with their preferred course of action.Good luck

Possible Infection

Hello and thank you for your question. You definitely have a reason to be concerned over draining and burning after your surgery. There will be more time needed for complete healing, but you should definitely see your doctor for your appointment. If the bra is not clean from the discharge then it would not likely be a good idea to put it back on.Here is what we tell our patients about post-operative healing: The patient will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days.

Incision care after a breast lift

I recommend you don't weight the two days, and simply call your plastic surgeon for a recommendation. Hopefully, you could be seen sooner than the two days. If not, I would recommend to my patients that they keep the area clean with soapy water and then try it, apply tape, and find a comfortable sports bra that does not rub on this area.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Open wound

If the wound is painful with discharge you are better to see your PS. The wounds do look ok and you have some swelling and bruising. Often you can get discharge at this stage and this is not abnormal - although one cannot truly reassure you without seeing you face to face.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon