Can microdermabrasion leave skin worse? (Photo)

Hello! Im 30 years old... For 3 months, I had very light peelings with my dermatologist (only 1 per month),3 weeks after the last one, I had a facial which included microdermabrassion, after that, my pores look bigger and stretched and my face looks dry with tiny lines, its been a month and still the same. I don't understand, did I over exfoliated? what happened? what can I do.. they gave me retiage and also suggested microneedling but Im so scared to do things to my face since my experience..

Thanks for your question. You may want to consult with your dermatologist as there could have been slight irritation from not waiting longer in between the peelings resulting in more sensitive skin. Chemical peels, and microdermabrasion go a long way toward eliminating fine lines, skin discoloration, and other signs of skin damage so what you have may be reversed. Hope this helps!

Microdermabrasion is an extremely superficial procedure that is not likely to help or hurt the skin, but if done incorrectly could possibly temporarily appear damaged. it sounds like you went from a dermatologist to have a procedure in a spa and I suggest you return to the dermatologist for your care

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist