Can microdermabrasion leave skin worse? (Photo)

Hello! Im 30 years old... For 3 months, I had very light peelings with my dermatologist (only 1 per month),3 weeks after the last one, I had a facial which included microdermabrassion, after that, my pores look bigger and stretched and my face looks dry with tiny lines, its been a month and still the same. I don't understand, did I over exfoliated? what happened? what can I do.. they gave me retiage and also suggested microneedling but Im so scared to do things to my face since my experience..

Microdermabrasion

Thanks for your question. You may want to consult with your dermatologist as there could have been slight irritation from not waiting longer in between the peelings resulting in more sensitive skin. Chemical peels, and microdermabrasion go a long way toward eliminating fine lines, skin discoloration, and other signs of skin damage so what you have may be reversed. Hope this helps!

Microdermabrasion gone wrong

I would advise you to have a follow up appointment with your provider and if you have doubts in her/his expertise, you can change your provider and get your skin examined and go from there. It may be that you had irritation, some skin regimes are not the best solution for all patients, especially for those with sensitive skin. Maybe your skin heals slower and you did not allow enough time between chemical peel and microdermabrasion. I believe that your skin will heal, but it is better to be safe and have it examined by dermatologist. Make sure you are always using sunscreen and moisturizer. Good luck!

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Microdermabrasion

Microdermabrasion is an extremely superficial procedure that is not likely to help or hurt the skin, but if done incorrectly could possibly temporarily appear damaged. it sounds like you went from a dermatologist to have a procedure in a spa and I suggest you return to the dermatologist for your care

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist