Color of scar keeps changing. (photos)

One day my scar looks like it's healing great the next it looks a little redder and then it looks good again. Could this be due to heat, friction or do you think it's something I should be worried about?

Wound healing takes time

It takes 6 to 12 months for the redness to mature and become normal cooler in most wounds. Give it time, it is normal for a wound to be red for quite an extensive period of time. Good luck...

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Red scar

Thank you for your question. The scar usually takes about a year to mature. If you are are Asian, or Latino, the scar may take up to 2 years to mature. I recommend using a scar reduction regiment for a minimum of 3-6 months for best result. The fluctuations that you see is a normal part of healing and recovery. Best of luck with your recovery.

Johnny Shea-Yuan Chung, MD, FACS
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Scar color

What you are describing sounds like normal healing. It usually takes 6-12 months for a scar to fully mature. Cause for concern would be redness accompanied by drainage, fever, chills, nausea/vomiting, or if the breast was warm to the touch. As with any situation if you are concerned contact your board certified plastic surgeon.