Silhouette Soft. Am I better off with fillers?

I am 38 years old and have been advised to have silhouette soft threads by my doctor. She said I'm the perfect candidate. She did not specify how many threads but I think one or two per side. I've been reading a lot into it and most reviews are quite negative. I have some premature jowl sagging which and the begging of marionette lines. Any advice is welcome! Am I better off with fillers? Can you feel the thread after recovery? I heard that you can't open your mouth wide... is that permanent?

InstaLift

Thank you for your question. Which one is better for you depends on your symptoms of facial aging and your cosmetic goals. Silhouette InstaLift™ is a minimally invasive procedure that is able to target the deeper layers of skin on a patient’s face and neck. This new target area makes the procedure stand out from existing procedures that treat the surface or outer layers of the skin, such as wrinkles, brown spots or lost volume. An aged appearance is usually caused by a patient's deeper layers, so targeting that area allows us to get better natural results. InstaLift also has absorbable lifting sutures that tighten the skin and stimulate collagen as they dissolve over time. Fillers on the other hand have different benefits. For more information, I recommend getting a in person consultation with a board-certified dermatologist.

Silhouette Sutures Versus Fillers

Silhouette sutures are indicated to provide a lifting effect to the mid-face in patients with mild to moderate facial folds. These resorbable sutures are fit with bidirectional cones, and are made of a collagen stimulating material, providing both an instant and gradual lift. While you are advised to avoid excessive facial movement and certain activities for the first 2-4 weeks (dental work, facial aesthetic treatment, high impact sports, etc.), these restrictions are not permanent. When placed at the proper depth, you should not be able to feel the Silhouette sutures after placement

Silhouette is not necessarily meant to take the place of filler, rather they can work together to create the most natural, rejuvenated look possible. There are different benefits to each procedure, however whether you are better suited for either Silhouette or filler alone could only be assessed through an evaluation. While they work best together, speaking very generally, if you are just noticing the beginning signs of “sagging,” Silhouette may provide you with the improvement you’re looking for; if you have significant volume loss, fillers may make more sense for you. As always, be sure to seek out the treatment of a board certified Dermatologist for the best outcome. Best of luck!

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Silhouette Instalift and other non-surgical options

Thank you for your question.  Dermal fillers are a great way to help soften the early signs of aging.  The Silhouette Instalift procedure is another great way to lift some of the 'sagging' tissues associated with the aging process.  I will often use both approaches as they work synergistically together.    Which to start first?  It depends on patient assessment and aesthetic goals of the patient (a photo would be helpful).   If, for example, the marionette lines or jowls are mild, then either Instalift sutures or dermal fillers may be all you need.  For patients with a more pronounced presentation, then a combined approach may yield the best results.  I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in non-surgical facial rejuvenation in your area to discuss your options in more detail

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Texture, tone and volume to give the very best results.

A photo will be great, a face to face examination is Gold standard. To answer your question, fillers can help with jowls, the art is to trick the eye to elongate your jawline. A good specialist can achieve this with fillers in the correct areas. Sure, silhouette threads can achieve this as well, it really depends on your anatomy. I think that a combination of improving skin tone (threads) followed by volume replacement (fillers) will give the very best, but also the most natural results. Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane .Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Silhouette InstaLift or Fillers

Dear LidaR:

This is a tough question without photos. An in-person consultation by a well-qualified, talented and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is your best bet.

• The Silhouette InstaLift (SIL) made of collagen stimulating dissolving suture with anchoring cones is inserted under the skin to mechanically lift, reposition and over many months stimulate tightening of the soft tissues of the face, neck, brow and now other areas of the body such as arms, thighs and breasts.
  • Fillers provide volume expansion or projection.

So, it depends on what your needs are.

My analogy is that with aging and skin / soft tissue laxity, the youthful smooth seas of the temple developed a “giant” wave at the cheek followed by a submalar hollow before hitting the shore along the mandible. Aging gives rise to 5 smaller waves and troughs at the lateral canthus, naso-jugal fold, nasolabial fold, lateral commissure/marionette fold and the neck fold.

• The SIL acts in “harpooning” the soft tissues and reeling them back up toward the temple.
  • Fillers are used to fill the troughs or project the wave height.

Both can be used simultaneously. Adjunctive procedures include: 

• Sculptra to create more collagen tightening under the skin and 
  • retinoids/chemical peels to tighten the skin from above.  

Both SIL and fillers need some time for adjustment. When injected artfully a reversal of the skin waves occurs. For fillers 2 days to 2 weeks maybe needed to settle and feel normal. SIL will required time to properly anchor, settle and start the collagen building process; my patients need 5 days to 3 weeks before they feel fully back to normal including yawning, opening their mouth widely and turning your head so as not to “pop” the anchors and lose the lift. Many of my patients have undergone prior facial procedures or have heavier tissues and need many more than 1-2 sutures per facial side. I like the lift and stimulation achieved with 4-5 facial sutures, 2 brow sutures and 3-4 neck sutures per side.

This is a lot to understand. Please consult carefully so you understand what is best for you. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Silhouette InstaLift vs fillers

The best way to determine which treatment is right for you is through an in person evaluation.  Often times Silhouette InstaLift is used in conjunction with fillers for the most complete treatment.  If the threads are placed properly you should not be able to feel them.  Not everyone is a candidate for this treatment, but if your doctor feels you are a good candidate it is a procedure you should consider.

Camille Cash, MD