Dysport has made my face too slim - I look like I don't have a jaw

Had dysport on left side of my face as it was bigger and squarer than my right due to bad grinding - I had it twice on left side and it looked great and matched my right, was still grinding on my right so went back again and had it on Right side (think twice on right but she said she put minimal) either way my face is now WAY too slim and it looks like I don't have jaw - when I pull my head back my chin looks like it goes into my neck :( I have no real jaw line! after two on my right will it go?

Hello Cjx22,

Botox or dysport when used for TMJ problems and injected into the masseter can lead to the temporary thinning of the face.  This is from weakening of the muscle that is found near the angle of the jaw.  This is sometimes used on purpose to help slim a face, but needs to be maintained.  If you don't like your appearance following your TMJ treatment then stopping further treatment will lead to an improvement in the bulk of your face.

I hope this helps and good luck. 

The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Slimming from Dysport

I never treat one side of the masseters. It can lead to bite problems and then worsen TMJ. Any slimming effect is only temporary and everything will return in about 4-6 months. There is nothing that can be done in the interim.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Thinning face.

When your masseter muscle is injected with Dysport it atrophies and leads to the thinning of the face. You will also grind less. The muscle will recover and your face will look fuller in time, but the serious grinding will start again. You have to weigh the pros and cons of Dysport. If you really don't like your appearance then you can either stop getting Dysport in the masseter or add a dermal filler to add some volume if you think not grinding is beneficial. A dermal filler over the jawline may restore the volume to a more acceptable level. Best, Dr. ALDO :)

Aldo Guerra, MD