If Coolsculpting can freeze fat away, can I do it at home with ice? More specifically on my eyelids?

I have excess fat in my eyelids and eyelid surgery is not an option for me. I thought about how coolsculpting would freeze and expel fat from the body, would it work if I tried applying ice on my eyelids?

Coolsculpting is used to freeze fat cells and reduce fat by killing the fat cells without injuring the skin. Don't try ice!

CoolSculpting reduces unwanted neck and body fat using the principle that the temperature needed to kill fat cells is not as cold as the temperature needed to kill skin cells. Don't use ice at home as that would be too cold, and frostbite and death of the skin cells could cause a wound that will cause not only permanent scarring, but a contraction of skin that can pull the eyelid away from the eye and cause corneal exposure damage.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Can I use ice at home to get rid of eyelid fat?

I know that there are a lot of sites on the internet that offer at home or inexpensive alternatives to Coolsculpting.  However, you need to understand that Coolsculpting underwent extensive studies at Harvard Wellman labs along with safety trials to accomplish what they have achieved.  Trying to freeze your own eyelids at home is really dangerous since it is close to your eyeballs and can damage your own vision.  In the future, Coolsculpting may come up with a treatment for eyelid fat but rest assured it will have undergone many safety studies before being launched.

Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Don't Freeze your eyeballs

Many patients have asked, "Well, if Coolsculpting gets rid of fat, why can't I just put ice on the area I want to melt away the fat?" 

Nope. It will not work like that. And we would not recommend putting ice on your eyelids to melt away upper eyelid fat. Without adequate supervision you could bring on unwanted side effects and even injury to your adjacent structures, like your eyes!

The process by which cryolipolysis induces a programed cell death is one that follows a very well structured sequence of inducing cell cycle change by manipulating the temperature of the surrounding tissue. Placing ice in a random fashion will not result in similar results.

Don't Try This At Home With ICE on your skin you will burn!

I don't recommend trying to mimic Coolsculpting results with ice. You could damage the skin permanently. I recommend a formal consultation with an expert. Fractional C02 laser can be used around the eye for great results. Best, Dr. Emer

Coolsculpting and Ice

Coolsculpting is a specialized machine that was invented to cool the skin and remove fat without damaging the skin.  You would have a burn from the ice without any benefit at home.  Best, Dr. Green

CoolSculpting is a precise medical treatment - do not attempt at home!

Though CoolSculpting does target fat cells in a temperature-dependent fashion, you cannot and should not try this method at home using ice cubes.  This is incredibly dangerous, particularly for the skin around your eyes.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

No, you can't

Coolsculpting brings the temperature of the area down to near freezing but not at freezing temperatures like ice.  Ice would actually damage your skin but Coolsculpting doesn't.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Is Ice an alternative to CoolSculpting?

Hello Nxrxxx,

Thank you for your question. A significant amount of research and technological advances have gone into developing a safe and effective means to reduce fat permanently via "cold" (CoolSculpting). Trying to use ice only to accomplish this, especially around the eyes would not only be potentially dangerous but highly ineffective. To address your eye concerns present to a plastic surgeon to discuss your surgical options. Best wishes.

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Ice on eyelids will not work

Ice on your eyelids will not reduce fat. If you have excess fat in the upper or lower eyelid area the only way to address it is via surgery. This surgery is called a blepharoplasty. 

Burton M. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. This would not be safe and can cause damage to your skin and eyes. If you have concerns, please speak to a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD