Can I use a more organic beeswax/oil combination after my mixto laser treatment instead of aquaphor(petroleum/mineral oil)?

I really don't want to use aquaphor because I don't really like the ingredients, I also don't want it to break me out. I was interested in trying the honest healing balm which is beeswax with a variety of organic oils. (Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Cera Alba (Beeswax)*, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Calophyll (Tamanu) Oil*, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract*, etc. The balms consistentcy is much like aquaphors.

Products to use after CO2 resurfacing

Thanks for your question. I understand your concern about ingredients in products, but for the first couple of days, something very simple and occlusive is going to be the safest and less likely to cause any kind of reaction or rash, itching or infection. The point of the CO2 is to basically create many tiny columns of injury to the skin and when it heals, it makes the skin much more smooth and youthful with new collagen growth in the dermis.  The botanical ingredients can sometimes be irritating to new, exposed underlying layers of the skin and might be something that is not tolerated as well as when you apply the cream to intact skin with a regular epidermal barrier.  Please discuss it in detail with your dermatologist who is doing your treatment to see if they recommend the cream specifically, or might want to have you use Aquaphor for at least 2-3 days.  We find many patients get an irritant contact dermatitis to anything else, and if you limit the Aquaphor use to just a few days, you are not likely to have problems with acne or too much occlusion.  Best of luck.

Grand Junction Dermatologic Surgeon

Post Op Regimen After MIXTO

I agree with you that Aquaphor is not ideal and could clog your pores.  My concern with an over the counter product is that the first few days, your skin will be more susceptible to infection and I have seen infection with over the counter vitamin E oils and other products.  Much better to stick with a prescription or professional product for the first few days of healing and then you would be able to safely switch to your preferred product. Good luck with your procedure!

Melissa Toyos, MD
Nashville Ophthalmologist