Can I get laser treatment for hair removal when I've already had IPL treatment at home before?

I have had IPL treatment at home before for hair removal, and it was effective to a great extent, but it only slowed down the growth of hair and decreased the number of hair follicles. It didn't permanently remove it. So, I was thinking of getting laser treatment. Is it safe to have laser treatment although I've used IPL before? And will it be less effective because of that?

Can I do Laser hair reduction if I've already done IPL treatments in home?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello, than you for your question. Laser hair reduction is definitely going to be much more successful than any at-home device on the market. Laser hair reduction is a series of treatments, usually 6-8 treatments done between 4-8 weeks apart depending on the area being treated.  The treatments that you have done in-home should not effect the success of the laser. Laser hair reduction is not 100% for ever and ever, it may require occasional touch ups throughout the year. I would recommend that you seek a board certified dermatologist for safest/effective treatments.

Good Luck!

Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal

There is no reason not to do laser hair removal if you have had IPL in the past. Make sure your practioner knows about the timing of past treatment. Decreased numbers of hair follicles is the actual goal, and is a permanent result of both IPL and Laser

Gary Nackman, MD, FACS
Clifton Vascular Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal After IPL Treatment

Good afternoon,

It is perfectly safe to have a laser hair removal treatment after already having used an IPL regimen. If anything, the IPL may help the effectiveness of the laser hair removal procedure.

Have a nice day.

Norman M. Rowe, MD