Breast implants are not charged by volume, but rather by the manufacturer and the implant’s content, that is saline versus silicone gel. In general, saline implants are about half the expense of silicone gel. Saline implants cost around $800-$1,000 a pair, and silicone gel’s cost run around $2,000 to $2,200 per pair. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon.
Do Silicone Breast Implants Cost Depend on Size?
Doctor Answers 23
Silicone implant costs is the same regardless of the size or volume
Larger and smaller silicone breast implants cost the same. If one requests a custom-made silicone implant the cost would be more.
The same holds true for saline implants. Surgeons fees are also the same regardless of implant size.
What are the costs of implants? Does bigger cost more?
In looking at the a price quote for breast augmentation, you should consider many variables.
1. The Surgeon's Fee. This can vary widely depending on the experience and results and thus demand for that surgeon. This also sometimes depends on technique. For example, a sub-muscular placement of an implant is much faster and thus takes less work for the surgeon than a sub-fascial placement of the implant that takes twice as long.
2. The Implant. The breast implant price depends on using a saline, memory gel, or highly cohesive (gummybear) implants. Usually saline implants cost about $1,000 for a pair, memory gel $2,000, and highly cohesive $3,000. If fat is used instead of an implant, then usually a fat harvest charge is used instead of implant fee as liposuction supplies are used and the fat purified in a variety of methods. The size of the implant does not matter, only the type of implant. If a dermal matrix is needed then there is an additional charge (usually about $1,000). In revisions, often the same implant can be used which saves on the implant costs. If a breast lift alone is performed, then obviously there is no implant cost.
3. Anesthesia. This can vary as well. If a board certified anesthesiologist is used then the price is higher. If a CRNA (nurse anesthetist) then the price is lower. It is even lower when a doctor just uses a non-certified anesthetist nurse, or just a medical assistant to push the anesthetic drugs (yes, this actually does happen).
4. Facility Fee. This can vary if the surgeon is using a certified surgery center or hospital vs. his non-certified office.
These four components make the total price, so it is best to break these down so the patient knows exactly what she is getting.
Realself has an average cost for each city.
Pablo Prichard, MD
You might also like...
Size is not usually a factor
Breast Implant Size and Price
That’s a wonderful question! NO difference based on implant size.
You’re absolutely right; the variability in pricing for implants themselves is a point of confusion for many patients. It all boils down to how much the surgeon acquires the implants for, and what value they attribute to the implant for you, as the consumer.
In order to simplify things, it’s easiest to make sure you understand what the OVERALL cost of the procedure is, and what precisely it includes in terms of cost and expertise in your geographical region. Our range depending on your specific needs is $5,000 - $7,500. It should absolutely be all-inclusive, and the most influential factors include,
- Is this an actual Plastic Surgeon performing the operation?
- Is the plastic surgeon Fellowship Trained specifically in aesthetic plastic surgery?
- Does the surgeon hold privileges at a local hospital, as a Plastic Surgeon?
- Where will the surgery be performed? Hospital or certified outpatient surgery center?
- What type of anesthesia will be used? General versus local anesthesia?
Choose your surgeon based NOT only on price, but whether you feel he would truly walk you thru the process and can achieve your long-term aesthetic goals. Also, it is not unreasonable to ask to speak to prior patients, visit the surgical facility, and see before and after photos.
You should also keep in mind that your choice of plastic surgery practice and surgeon, should also be a long-term choice. Chances are that you may want further services for yourself, family, and friends and want to establish a place where you become a member of the family. So be sure you love the staff, and the overall feel of the office. This should be a long-term investment in your future.
Silicone implant size does not affect implant cost
As far as cost of implants goes, this is one instance when size doesn't matter. I recommend that you place as large an implant as you desire because more silicone doesn't cost more money.
We charge $6700 for silicone gel implants in Plano, Texas. This includes the surgical fee, M.D. anesthesiologist, nationally-accredited surgical facility, silicone gel implants, implant warranty (10 years), and all routine postoperative visits.
Cost of implants independent of the size
Silicone implants cost more than saline implants. Textured implants cost more than smooth implants. Shaped implants cost more than round implants. And larger implants cost......the same as smaller implants. In this case, size doesn't matter.
Breast Augmentation Cost in Columbus Ohio
I encourage you to make sure your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and that that person is someone you would trust after meeting with them at your consultation.
In Columbus, Ohio, our total costs for breast augmentation are currently $4500-5100 for saline implants and $5000-5900 for silicone implants. The cost of the implants does not vary by size.
Silicone implants have one price--not based on size
There may be a slight difference in pricing between the two suppliers, but there is no difference based on implant size.
Breast Implant Costs
To ensure quality work at most cost effective prices, consult with board certified plastic surgeons that own their own nationally accredited facilities. These surgeons must maintain the highest standards to keep accreditation. Moreover, the surgeons are motivated to ensure quality and properly trained staff (to minimize time and frustration in surgery), private and comfortable facilities (to ensure continued referrals), and less waste (to ensure that they can remain competitive financially with other centers).