How Long After Breast-feeding Can I Get Breast Implants?

I am a 24 mother of two. I stopped breastfeeding my one-year-old child when he was 3 months old (over 9 months ago). My breasts have reached their post-partum normalcy, but I am still able to express very small amounts of milk if I squeeze my breast. How much longer should I wait before I should consider myself a good candidate for breast implants?

We prefer at least 3 months.

It is amazing how long breast milk can hang around after stopping breast feeding. You should be fine to proceed with breast augmentation if you stopped 9 months ago. In general, we prefer a minimum of 3 months from the time the patient last breast fed and more time is preferable.

We do this for 2 reasons: 1. we want the breast to shrink down to its final size after breast feeding before inserting an implant . That way we know excatly what size the breast has settled to after breast feeding and we can choose the correct implant and 2. breast ducts communicate with the mouth of the baby and there are some bacteria that naturally live in those ducts. We want to minimize any chance of infection so waiting at least 3 months is our policy, although we can certainly see why some doctors would require more time.

Good luck!

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Breast Feeding Now Implants?

Thank you for your question! You will be fine to proceed with your breast augmentation.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board Certified Plastic SurgeonChicagoHoffman EstatesOak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Most surgeons recommend waiting 6 months before getting breast implants.

After pregnancy and breastfeeding, the breasts take time to reach their post-partum set point. It’s important to wait for the breasts to shrink to their final size so that you have a clear idea of which implant size, type and placement to choose. Although it’s not uncommon for some women to express small amounts of milk 9 months after breastfeeding, it’s certainly worth noting to both your OB/GYN and a board-certified plastic surgeon. In most cases, small amounts of milk won’t interfere with breast augmentation. However, there is some concern for the milk causing heightened risk of infection.

How long after breast feeding can I get breast implants?

Thank you for your question.  The general recommendation is that patients wait at least 3-6 months from the time that they last breast fed or pumped before undergoing a breast augmentation procedure.  We recommend waiting this period of time because it will allow you to reach your final postpartum breast size and will allow us to choose the best implant size for your frame.  Regarding the breast milk that you are still expressing, it is typically recommended that you wait until this ceases as the presence of breast milk could increase your risk for an infection of capsular formation around your implant.  I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.  Best of luck!

How long After Breast Feeding Before Getting Implants

It is best to wait at least 3-6 months after you have stopped breast feeding before getting breast implants. This will allow your breast to go back to their normal size and you will have a better idea regarding what size implant to choose.

How Long After Breast-feeding Can I Get Breast Implants

Thank you for submitting your question. I tell my patients to wait a miniumim of 6 months after they complete breast feeding before they undergo breast surgery. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best Wishes

Breast surgery after breast feeding

Typically I like to wait 3 months after breast-feeding has stopped prior to any breast surgery- augmentation, reduction, or breast lift.  This allows the breast to shrink after engorgement and allows the milk production to stop.  Occasionally, there can be small amounts of milk expressed after the 3 months, that is usually not an issue. If there is a significant amount of milk, I will send the patient back to their OB for a check.
A large amount of breast milk in the area around an implant can cause issues with infection or capsular contracture, so it is important to communicate with your board certified plastic surgeon if you are having excessive production.  Good luck!.

Ryan Hoffman, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

3 months after breast feeding

I typically ask the patients to wait 3 months after breast feeding before they get implants.  The milk you are able to express may place you at a higher risk of infection and capsular contracture.

Breast Augmentation after Breast feeding

In my practice I advise my patients to wait at least 6 months after breast feeding before a breast augmentation surgery. This is typically an adequate amount of time to allow the breast tissue and glands to reach the final post partum size/state and allows us to provide more accurate advice regarding your augmentation. 

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD

BA following nursing

I recommend waiting until your breasts are back to baseline which takes several months following breast feeding to get a breast augmentation. I would recommend waiting a minimum of 6 months and 1 year is even better

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS