Is This Diastasis Recti?

I can feel and see an large mound/lump on my abdomen when I lean back slightly while sitting or standing. Is it diastasis recti? I first noticed this lump while pregnant with my first child (gained 20 lbs, 5 lb baby). I was so huge with my second child that I didn't notice it (gained 50 lbs, 8.6 lb baby). I've lost 30 lbs since Jan. but I notice that the area just above my belly button continues to protrude.

Diastasis Recti

Hello, it can be diastasis recti , possible hernia or a mass. This should be examined to tell for sure. To me it looks like a diastasis recti but a in person consultation is required. With a diastasis while doing a situp you can see this bulge protrude in the midline running down towards the belly button. However, this should be examined by a surgeon to know for sure. Thanks.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Diastasis Recti

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Diastasis recti

Judging from your photos and the info provided, you probably have diastasis recti, which is separation of the abdominal muscles. A tummy tuck can repair this.

Diastasis recti

Diastasis recti

The photos you sent and the description of your post partum abdomen sounds like a clinical diastase's recti.  There is also the possibility of a hernia.  This would be evaluated while in the surgeons office, to discuss options.  It is important to know a diastasis is not a medical treat to you.

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)

Diastasis recti

Diastasis Rectus Example

It certainly looks that way.  An examination will confirm it and a general surgeon or plastic surgeon should be able to let you know for sure.  If you are considering repair, obtain a consult from a board certified plastic surgeon.  This can be repaired at the same time as a tummy tuck.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Diastasis Rectus Example

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Looks Like a Diastasis Recti

Your phots and history are consistent with a diastasis recti. This can easily be repaired with a min-tummy tuck, no need for the more involved scarring of a full tummy tuck.

Looks Like a Diastasis Recti

Is This Diastasis Recti?

Dear newmeat30,

Yes, it appears that you have diastasis recti, which results from separation of the rectus abdominal muscles and is very common after pregnancy. The bulging can be fixed during a tummy tuck.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Is This Diastasis Recti?

Dear newmeat30,

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Diastasis recti

Yes.  This is a diastasis recti as is very common, and not surprising in your case.  It is not serious and is not a hernis.  A tummy tuck procedure may be performed along with repairing this.

Diastasis recti

Is This Diastasis Recti?

u betcha. notice that as you lean back and tighten your abdominal muscles the central mound actually gets higher (worse). this is why situps don't help a diastasis regardless of what your personal trainer or crazy workout friend says. in fact situps may actually make it worse. good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Is This Diastasis Recti?

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Weakness of the abdominal wall (rectus diastasis)

Based on your photo it does appear that you have rectus diastasis, which is a weakness of the abdominal wall. This does not represent a hernia, which is a defect or hole in the abdominal wall. This weakness would be repaired and tightened at the time of a tummy tuck. A board certified plastic surgeon can examine you and determine the extent of your abdominal wall weakness.

Dr.Bruno

Dr.Bruno

Is this diastasis recti?

I agree that this appears to be a good example of diastasis.  Women often ask if they can fix this problem through exercise and sit-ups.  Unfortunately,  it cannot be corrected with exercise as the problem is not the muscles, but the fascia connection between the muscles.  There is no non-surgical method to correct this problem.  The good news is that it can easily be corrected with a tummy tuck which will also tighten your skin and give you a great contour. 

Is this diastasis recti?