Had restalyne injected for tear troughs, some lights it looks good some look terrible! (photos)

I had restalyne put in my tear troughs and cheeks to add fullness and get rid of my hollows. In some lights it looks so terrible and i feel so ugly. In some lights it looks good. I don't understand why this is. I can't even wear hats it looks so enhanced. And i have a huge dip on one side of my face. Why is this happening and what can fix it?!

Tear trough Restylane

You actually have an excellent result from the injection of Restylane both in your cheeks as well as the year trough.  The "change" may be enough that you are having difficulty getting used to the new look.  To be more analytical, a non-smiling view might be helpful.  Based on the photos you submitted my advice would be to not do anything at present.

Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane for tear troughs

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. From the provided photos you appear to have achieved a good result, but it is hard to tell without looking at photos of your face at rest. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Nonnsurgical Cheek & Tear Trough Rejuvenation Are Advanced Injection Techniques That Require Very Experienced Injectors

Unfortunately, some "before" pictures, as well as "after" closeup photos of the eyes, both in resting and  smiling poses, would have been more helpful. There is some suggestion (when smiling) of the "shelf" you are referring to.Your question raises several issues. First, while Restylane may be used for the area immediately below the lower lid to supply support and buttressing to the lower lid region itself (the way a foundation to a house supports the actual edifice above), it is not the best filler for use immediately within the hollow infraorbital, tear trough region itself. Some physicians dilute it for use there, while others, today, use Restylane Silk for this purpose. I prefer Belotero Balance, which I use in my Upper East Side Manhattan practice, since it molds very easily and has little tendency to give rise to the unwanted, bluish Tyndall Effect when injected superficially in the very thin and delicate skin of this anatomic region. (In my Israel satellite facility, where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved fillers and volumizers are available, I prefer Tyoseal Redensity II for this purpose). For the neccessary support to the cheek area below I typically opt for Voluma XC (NY) and Stylage XXL (Israel). Special care must be taken not to overinject the underlying cheek area so as not to create unnatural-looking ping-pong ball or "apple" cheeks when the person smiles or "shelves" under the eyes at rest. When evaluating a patient for treatment in this region, at-rest and smiling poses must be evaluated to ensure that the treatment results will subsequently appear natural in both situations.Frankly, what I find most troubling about your concern is that you did not apparently feel comfortable enough to contact the doctor who treated you to express your concerns and ask questions and felt the need to contact RealSelf doctors instead.Going forward you might consider seeking consultation with a board certified aesthetic physician and make certain to vett him/her for comfort to ask questions and receive the necessary time and information to make your aesthetic experience as easy and concern free as possible. The cheeks and particularly the undereye areas should be left to the hands of experienced injectors. They should not be entrusted to novice injectors trained to or accustomed only to treating simple smile lines with ordinary Restylane.  Best of luck to you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Restylane injections to tear troughs

Differences in lighting can certainly accentuate hollows or irregularities on your face. However, if you have concerns about the results of your filler injections, I would recommend scheduling a follow-up with your injector to discuss your concerns and for a full evaluation. You could consider having the areas injected with hyaluronidase to "melt" away the existing filler and have the injections redone. Good luck!

Sachin S. Pawar, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tear Trough Fillers -- Try Cannulas, Voluma/Belotero/Restylane

if you are unhappy , reverse the filler and try another physician ,technique and filler.  Best, Dr. Emer.