Diuretics after surgery to reduce fluids and swelling?

Is it safe to use diuretics after the surgery to reduce the fluids in the body and swelling? I have somethimg called centyl cause sometimes my legs gather a lot of fluids and its very unconfortable feeling so got these from a doc and they work wonders in one night. It contains bendroflumethiazide and kaliumchlorid.

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Diuretics after surgery

I do not usually recommend diuretics after a BBL because it may cause electrolyte imbalances.  Patients that have other medical conditions may warrant use of diuretics.  

Diuretics For Swelling After Plastic Surgery

Unless your swelling is caused by a diagnosed/known condition, AND the diuretic has been prescribed by a physician for that specific condition after a thorough physical evaluation and work-up, AND you are being monitored while on the diuretic, AND you have cleared diuretic use with your surgeon, I would advise against using a diuretic in the post surgical period. Even if those conditions are met, and in-person evaluation would be needed before a recommendation for diuretic use could be made. Drinking plenty of water, using compression stockings, and elevatiing your legs will help with the swelling in the post operative period. If your swelling is severe enough that you feel you need diuretics, or is associated with any pain and/or problems breathing, you should see a doctor immediately. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Diuretics after tummy tuck or any plastic surgery

Even though your soft tissues and legs may feel waterlogged, you are more than likely dry intravascularly.   A diuretic will dry you out even further and put you and your kidneys at risk for damage.  The best course of action is to use compression stockings for your legs, drink lots of fluid, and allow the passage of time.  I also like to us Bromelain (pineapple extract) post-operatively.  Allow your body to do its thing.  

it would actually be unsafe to use diuretics to decrease the swelling what you're doing is decreasing the intravascular volume around your arteries and veins which would be very dangerous because you're also going to lose that volume cuz that's going to go into the tissues causing swelling. There's nothing that reduces swelling except compression and time and let it take its natural course. I would suggest you discuss this with your surgeon best of luck