Dermatix - pros and cons. (photos)

I'm using Dermatix silicone gel on my new scars. E vitamin Oil as well. Regarding the Dermatix - should i put som kind of tape over? Or maybe steristrips!? I have a lot of those left. Or will the silicone gel itself take some tension of the scar? Would it be better to use silicone sheets? I am 35 days post.

Scar treatment

Thank you for your question.As long as your surgeon has cleared you to begin scar treatment, the dematix will be sufficient. I also recommend to my patients NewGel silicone strips which they seem to like and see good results from. There are also laser treatment options out there than can further reduce the appearance of surgical scars. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Dermatix - pros and cons.

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Assuming your surgeon has approved its use, the silicone gel alone should be sufficient to aid with your scar maturation process.  If you are going to be outdoors it would be advised that you use a gel that has some degree of sun protection built in.  Hope this helps.

Paper tape support for best quality for scars after reduction mammoplasty

There have been several published studies in our journal, Plastic And Reconstructive Surgery, that demonstrate that paper tape is the most efficacious method to prevent excessive scar hypertrophy, which is a thickened, elevated scar that may be painful or itch.  The study that I remember best was comparing paper tape to silicone sheeting and demonstrated that inexpensive paper tape was superior. If you add a silicone gel then the tape may not support the scar.  The purpose is to take the tight pulling forces off of the scar so that the body does not get a stimulus to make a thicker stronger scar. Fortunately, this is most  practical in body areas covered by clothing and very useful for the face.  I recommend that my patients with tight closures like breast reduction, breast lift, breast augmentation and tummy tucks use it for at least 3 months.  I tell them to apply it and then change it when it starts to separate naturally in order to minimize skin irritation.  Right now your scars look good and tape will help them stay that way.  

Article reference for physicians: 

Atkinson, J. A., McKenna, K. T., Barnett, A. G., McGrath, D.
J., and Rudd, M. A randomized, controlled trial to determine
the efficacy of paper tape in preventing hypertrophic scar
formation in surgical incisions that traverse Langer’s skin
tension lines. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 116: 1648, 2005 .

John M. Weeter, MD