I have olive skin, what type of laser is recommended for brazilian hair removal?

I'm looking into getting laser hair removal for a brazilian and I'm having a hard time deciding to go with the Candela GentleYag or the Palomar. I'm getting mixed reviews and need help. I have olive skin, but I'm really pale and my hair is really dark in that area. Please help!

Hair Removal in Olive Skin

I have had fabulous results with the Gentle Yag laser. It is painless and efficient. I would be cautious about who performs your laser hair removal. Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best results. 

Which laser for laser hair removal in olive skin?u

Dear CarrieRagion: Excess hair in olive skin tyoes can be treated safely and effectively with the Gentlelase (which is alexandrite), diode, or NgYag lasers. Because of the different wavelengths of these lasers (755, 810, and 1064nm, respectively), and other design features, there are some differences between them, but what is most important is that you find a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon trained in laser physics and with extensive experience with laser/skin interactions, to oversee your treatments.

The 755nm can treat both fine and coarse hairs and is a little less painful than the lasers with longer wavelength, whose longer beams penetrate more deeply. The 910 and 1064 are great with coarse hairs but not as effective, in my experience or according to the physics of their wavelengths, with fine hairs. The 1064nm is best for very dark skin types (V or VI) such as darker African-American skin types. None can be used in tanned skin.

So, if you have fine as well as coarse hairs,  I would go with the Alex.  Otherwise, they will all work and the pain issue should not be a major factor especially if topical anesthetics are applied first. Find a doctor you trust and go from there!

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Laser Hair Removal for Dark Skin

The long pulsed nd yag laser (Candela Gentle yag) is an excellent laser hair removal system for dark skin. Be sure you find a laser center owned and operated by a physician. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal for Olive Skin

We use the LightSheer Duet for our laser hair removal. It is safe for all skin types including olive skin tones and is painless, which is a big help for sensitive areas such as the brazilian. 

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon